Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Anyone rescued a drowned I phone…/
  • jonny-m
    Free Member

Lad jumped in pool this morning with his phone in his pocket…
    Came back looking all sorry for himself
    It was in a case but not a waterproof one obviously
    It’s turned itself off and now just leaving it in the sun to dry out.
    What’s it’s chances do you think…?
    Anyone done this and the phone survived ?

KidCragg
    Free Member

Mine old iPhone 4 got fully submerged and still worked. I think the key was to get the power off ASAP and then dry completely out.

I turned it off straight afterwards and then put it in the airing cupboard with boiler on full blast for a few days and it worked fine.

The missus put her 6 in for half a wash cycle recently and that was fine to!

So dry out completely then hope for the best

lunge

Yep, as above, dry it out and keep your fingers crossed. My wife has dropped 2, yes 2 in cups of tea. One was fine, one was dead, luck seemed to be the only differentiating factor.

jobless
    Free Member

Put it in a bowl of (uncooked) rice.

joemmo
    Free Member

my mrs dropped hers in a toilet. Yes, people do that.
    If its one that you can remove the back and battery on then do that and leave it somewhere like an airing cupboard. You can get those silica granules that might help as well – we did that and it revived. I don’t know if packing it in a back of dry rice works the same or is a myth but probably can’t make it worse.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

As above – immerse in bowl of rice and place near warmish heat source

Worked for me

pictonroad

The good lady put her 5 through a complete wash cycle recently. A week in an open container of rice in the airing cupboard and it came back to life.

It was a bit odd for a few days but it works fine now. I was very surprised.

stevextc
    Free Member

You can never tell but the sooner the power is off the better and the longer you leave it the better…
    As above if you can get the back off all the better …. I phone 4 is only 2 screws for example … but I recently dropped the 6 in the loo and turned it off, shook as much water out as possible and stuck in in a jar of rice (needed rice removing later)

In this case everything is fine… but its a bit of a lottery.

johndoh
    Free Member

As above – in a warm place in rice.

I haven’t done this with a phone, but I have (twice) put the garage door remote through a wash cycle and revived it both times with that method.

Cougar

Put it in a bowl of (uncooked) rice.

I did this once. When I turned it on I found that it’d deleted all of my contacts, apart from my Uncle Ben’s.

jonny-m
    Free Member

Very funny, actually just LOL’d

pondo

That means there are two of you I’m disappointed with. 🙁

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

I did this once. When I turned it on I found that it’d deleted all of my contacts, apart from my Uncle Ben’s.

🙂 10/10

Del

hoover it out. saves you a week of wondering if you’ll get your phone back. just go around all the ports, use your hand to make as good a seal as you can, and suck the water out. takes two minutes.

grtdkad

I have been told (dry) rice is a myth. Didn’t stop me putting my 6s in a large bowl of rice and silica gel.

Leave it totally untouched for a week and add a little bit of hope.

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

Rice / silica / nappie insides aren’t myths.

Even if it’s screwed, repairing them is often possible. Youtube for a tutorial and spare parts (often the digitiser / screen) can be pleasantly surprisingly cheap.

I put my wifes in a bowl of rice with the lid off on the parcel shelf for a week. Enough heat to dry it out properly. Don’t be tempted to turn it on sooner.

jambourgie
    Free Member

My iPhone went in the washing machine last week. Was about ten minutes before I realised. Got it out, water clearly under the screen at least. Turned it off, in a sealed kilner jar full of brown rice for six hours. Back on, worked ok but display all weird. After some internet advice, I put it on charge, ramped up the brightness etc, turned off the autolock and put it back in the rice whenever I wasn’t using it. Guess it gets hot, and the rice soaks up the moisture.

It’s about 95% normal now.

Edit, be careful about getting a grain of rice in your headphone port.

sharkbait
    Free Member

I believe that if it’s dropped in fresh water then you stand a chance. If you drop it in salty water then you can forget it as the salt will corrode the connections in a short time (if you’re brave you can open the phone up and flush it with fresh water to get rid of the salt).
    So it depends on how much chlorine was in the pool I guess.

perchypanther
    Free Member

be careful about getting a grain of rice in your headphone port.

Yeah, rice should only be inserted into the serial port. 😉

chrisdw
    Free Member

Yeah, rice should only be inserted into the serial port.

molgrips
    Free Member

I’d be wary of rice. I did this and there was loads of rice dust in the bowl. I wouldn’t want that stuff turning into sticky starch. But, if people say it works then I guess it does.

I’d rather silica gel though. And I’d put it in a sealed bag otherwise you’re absorbing moisture from the atmosphere as well as the phone.

DezB
    Free Member

If you never want to use the headphone socket or the charge port in the future, then putting in rice is a great idea.

Legoman
    Free Member

We’ve had several of these incidents, none of which have ended particularly well for the phone…

– daughter’s iphone 5s went through the wash: dried it out but it was never the same again. Buttons not working, poor touchscreen sensitivity. Eventually stopped working all together.
    – wife’s 5s got heavily splashed – screen went a bit funny (sort of dimmed and difficult to see). Never improved.
    – wife’s 2 month old iphone 6 (2 days ago) dropped in toilet (don’t put phones in your back pockets ladies!). Immediately fished out, turned off and dried, but seems to be totally dead.

Good luck with yours – hope you have better luck!

wysiwyg
    Free Member

Best thing to do if you have one get really soaked is dunk it in distilled water. It’ll cost you the price of a screen as it gets between the LCD layers but it’ll displace the minerals in the water that kills the phone. Death usually occurs later even if it boots up the next day. Takes time for the corrosion to kick in.

If anyone wants any fixing let me know.

molgrips
    Free Member

If you’re a phone fixer, can you reliably fix a slightly cracked front glass on an S6? I’ve had a look, seems that some people will attempt it but others not.

wysiwyg
    Free Member

The problem with them is you have to seperate the glass from the LCD unless you want to spend £140 on a whole display, whereas the iPhone is a whole unit.
    I used to do them, but when a £30 job can cost me £140 if I scratch the display I decided it’s not worth it.

jonnym92

Dropped my iPhone 6 in Coniston Water a few months ago. Was working when I pulled it out, switched it off and stuck it on the heater for the drive home.
    Tub of rice on the radiator for 24hrs and it’s been fine ever since!

molgrips
    Free Member

The problem with them is you have to seperate the glass from the LCD unless you want to spend £140 on a whole display

I know, this is the problem 🙂 Tempted to have a go myself when my renewal comes up. Or just leave it and try and ignore the crack!

wysiwyg
    Free Member

You’re meant to glue them back together with UV activated glue and vacuum the bubbles out. You can get away with 3m taping around the edges. Usually.

Just make sure it’s nice and hot and go slow. The hotter the better. The wire technique is good but breaks easily if it grabs.

Jakester
    Free Member

If it’s a 7, he should be fine as it’s supposedly dunk-proof…

jambalaya
    Free Member

As above, bag of rice and put it on a radiator or airing cupboard. Leave for as long as you can bear before turning it on – 2 or 3 days. You can try taking out the SIM as making more “air holes” will help it dry out. Also if your son has the sim in another phone he will be less tempted to try and turn it on

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Anyone rescued a drowned I phone…/’ is closed to new replies.