Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Anyone replaced batteries in Exposure lights?!
  • monsteryeti
    Free Member

Got an Enduro that is holding less than 2 hours on a mix of full and Ride beam, and a Diablo Mk1 that needs a bit more life (getting about the same).

ssboggy

I got a mk1 joystick battery replaced by Smudge MTB Batteries but the battery is easily removed by unscrewing a cap at the back on that version, not sure about the Enduro or Diablo, might be worth giving him a call

bigjim

They will do it for you too but it isn’t cheap.

smudge
    Free Member

I will give it a go if its a few years old and out off guarantee.

Do you know if it is easy enough to open? that will be the most difficult bit opening and resealing it.

OR another option is to email Troutie to look at and at the same time get him to upgrade the LEDs inside it to XPG’s or XML’s 😉 – I can post him the new battery to fit in at the same time.

Please feel free to email me for more help.

Smudge

bigjim

There is some chat about upgrading the joystick at the end of troutie’s Hope upgrade thread. Open the rear end carefully, remove the plastic ring and unsolder the battery wires to remove the battery. The threads are glued too and I’m damned if I can get the head end off in my little hobby vice!

smudge I emailed you on the 4th November re joystick battery, did you get it? 🙂

smudge
    Free Member

Hi Jim,

Yes, it will be posted back to you by the end of the week. Just on a charge/discharge test at the minute.

Did you get the lead from them direct as I wouldnt mind a few of those 😉

Smudge

monsteryeti
    Free Member

Cheers guys. Smudge / Troutie, will have a look at the seal etc later but happy to send to either of you by way of a experiment. Upgrading LED’s and battery at the same time. happy to pay for both.

RicB

I’m looking into replacing my Maxx-D battery and being put off by the complete lack of reports on t’interweb to be honest – easier to find out how to build a nuke!

There is a thread on mtbr from a bloke reporting USE were a bit funny with warrantying his Maxx-D as it had “blatantly been opened”, suggesting there might be a few seals, etc that need replacing each time it’s opened.

Chickening out for now!

smudge
    Free Member

How old is it Ric? whenever you need to do it let me know, I would guess there is a way of re-sealing it, even with a good doseage of silicone sealant on the inside before you close it up again and leave to set.

whilst your getting this done you might as well get the LED’s upgraded at the same time, like the previous post.

bigjim

smudge – I didn’t send the light, just an email, and don’t know what lead you are talking about! Must be thinking of someone else 🙂

riddoch

USE replaced mine for £60 (beginning of the year) on a Enduro, used to last about 30 minutes of full before dropping down in power. Not sure how that compares to Smudge/Troutie. Took them about 3 weeks to do it too.

RicB

iirc it was more than £60 for a MAXX-D battery replacement when i asked USE, although that was 12 months ago.

My experience with USE is that they’re very helpful, friendly guys but the turnaround isn’t great. My port replacement under warranty was 4.5 weeks, a friends Joystick warranty work was similar.

I plumped for a Smudge piggy-back battery. Far cheaper and it arrived in 2 days 🙂

smudge
    Free Member

Thanks RicB.

Jim, you have a single cell 2.6Ah out to you in the post tomorrow. feedback welcomed 8)

Northwind

Trouble is that if it’s an older Joystick, the price of refurbing it is more than a Dealextreme bike light, or a more powerful torch to fit into your Joystick bracket (since, after all, the Joystick’s mainly a very nice torch)

amsterdan
    Free Member

hi smudge i have a maxx d how much would it cost to upgrade the leds and battery and how long does it take thanks

monsteryeti
    Free Member

Guys, can I have a price for my Enduro Maxx as well please, as the OP!

smudge
    Free Member

Monster, I’d email troutie and get him to look at. Between us we should be able to upgrade your light

markenduro
    Free Member

Smudge, can you tell me a bit more about the piggy back batteries?
    Ta

smudge
    Free Member

Hi Mark and anyone else wanting to know more information about the compatible piggy back batteries I build , please email for more information.

The standard piggy back battery I build is a 3 cell 6.6Ah which can come with a standard lead or a specified lead length.
    These batteries will also come with a ‘jumper’ for using the charger with (both the piggy back back battery and charger have male connectors)

Smudge.

Led mods please email troutie 😉

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Anyone replaced batteries in Exposure lights?!’ is closed to new replies.