Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • anyone remember viscount bikes?
  • jools182
    Free Member

found a old pic of my Dad

thepurist

I’ve just got back from the station on mine! Viscount Indy 500, bought it 2nd hand in 1987 (I think). It sat in various sheds and garages for years but when I started this commute I dug it out, cleaned it up and got it running again. It’s heavy, has ‘interesting’ braking in the wet and the wheels are a bit shonky, but I just can’t replace it.

jools182
    Free Member

my Dad had his for years, I think he bought it from Kays catalogue on weekly paymenst as its the only way we could buy one at the time 😯

remember the next door neighbour had 2 Harry Hall frames that he ponced around on now and again, and my Dad used to cycle to work every day on that old clonker

project
    Free Member

Hadf a viscount aerospace, from the first company, then they went bust and the other company introduces cast alloy fronmt forks which they had a few break, and that closed them down, date back to the70,s i think.

ton

yes i do.
    and viking, got a ian steel viking in the garage

sweepy
    Free Member

I remember viscount biscuits 🙂

project
    Free Member

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/lambert.html

Also i had a rear hub which used a large flange hub, snap taking 2 or 3 spokes out with it, a long walk home that day.

There was also the dodgy bottom bkt, with no taper, that the cranks would come off, and not tighten up.

The Bottom bkt also had circlips as far as i can rremember to stop you getting the thing out, and the seat tube was a s trange size, mine i had to screw a screw through the frame, to hold the pillar in position.

Finally the front wheel crossed over the toe clips when going round a corner, you soon got used to this as you fell of otherwise.

ken_shields
    Free Member

mmmmmmmmm……Viscount biccies

Edric64
    Free Member

I had a Viscount Deore 18 AX .It had the Shimano group with the inch thread pedals cost me 275 quid in 1984.The frame died in 1990 when the right chainstay cracked

thepurist

Finally the front wheel crossed over the toe clips when going round a corner, you soon got used to this as you fell of otherwise.

I forgot to mention that little joy of riding mine – makes it interesting when I have to negotiate some hairpins on a footbridge on my commute

rOcKeTdOg

viscount mint were the best!

hora
    Free Member

remember viscount biscuits

ARSE! beaten to it! 😀

I loved mint

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘anyone remember viscount bikes?’ is closed to new replies.