Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Anyone remember TCR, slotless scaletrix with "real overtaking"?
  • ir_bandito
    Free Member

I’ve just been clearing out my parent’s loft as they’re selling the house to downsize.
    I’ve returned with my collection of TCR from my younger days. 2 boxed sets, lots of extra cars and miles and miles of extra track.
    Think I’m going to try and sell it on. I presume Ebay is the best bet, or are there toy-collectors forums I could try?
    And should I sell it as a job lot, or split it down? what’ll get me the most cash?

cynic-al
    Free Member

If it has worth (which woldn’t surprise me) splitting is likely to get the most.

You could always search ebay?

lowey

I got one for xmas as a kid… its didnt work… the cars wouldnt change lanes. I was gutted.

Junkyard
    Free Member

i loved the fact that when you changed lanes [ to be on the same lane ] you both went slower

uphillcursing
    Free Member

I remember it well. The child that I was thought it would be better than Scalextric. How wrong I was. There was a third car in my set that went round autonomously and a bit slower than the other two platers cars. that was the only plus as I recall.

Needles to say I do not remember what happened to TCR whilst the scalextric I eventually got still gets played with by my kids.

stumpy01

There was a third car in my set that went round autonomously and a bit slower than the other two platers cars. that was the only plus as I recall.

A friend had one of these sets. Wasn’t this car called the ‘jam car’ to force overtaking?

Only played with it a few times, but seemed like a better system than scalextric…..although Scalextric has obviously done better, so perhaps not..

allthegear
    Free Member

How did the cars stay on the track if there was no slot??

Rachel

uphillcursing
    Free Member

Raised walls used to keep the cars on. So you were at 100% throttle at all times. Centrifugal issues meant you could overtake on the inside on straights but all cars went to the outside on corners. As I recall the 100% throttle thing and the crap method of connecting the lenghts of track were the downfall of TCR.

uphillcursing
    Free Member

Ohhhh, just remembered that turning the “jam” car in the opposite direction livened things up a little.

StefMcDef
    Free Member

Race’n’Chase FTW. 😀

Miles better than Scalextric. U-Turns, a see-saw bridge, cops’n’robbers scenario.

One of the best toys ever invented.

andytherocketeer

Used to have the truck racing TCR set. Trucks came complete with trailers, which livened it up a bit 🙂 They didn’t always stay on the track 😉

Best crimble prezzie ever.

D0NK

TCR was awesome, had a tcr “club” at school, everyone brought in their track and we built enormous loops using the whole science lab we commandeered, loooooong straights, corkscrews and jumps. Excellent.

Scalectrix was just seemed a bit rubbish compared, after the first race you always knew which car would win, wouldn’t you?

anjs
    Free Member

I had the Trailer Cut Off set when you went head to head with an oncoming truck and had to time the overtaking move just right

scuttler

Yeah. And then Scalextric released the Stock Car / Bumper Car thingies that you could spin round and then go head to head on dedicated sections of narrow track as well as doing take-outs on the bend. Seeya TCR…

DrP

Just been checking this out on you-tube – looks oresum!!!

DrP

Riofer
    Free Member

I’ve got a load of this in the loft. The best addition is the booster, a special bit of start line where the controllers plug in, that gives your car a turbo boost once a lap. great for overtaking. Formula 1 has only just caught up with it drs.

djglover
    Free Member

Scalextric can powerslide therefore wins

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Anyone remember TCR, slotless scaletrix with "real overtaking"?’ is closed to new replies.