Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 217 total)
  • Anyone remember how the Falklands began?
  • G
    Free Member

Like buying back recently scrapped military equipment for example?

**** me not again!

project
    Free Member

thatcher wanted a war to take peoples minds off what she had done to the working classes and british industry, just like this year, with another ………..

big_n_daft
    Free Member

john_drummer
    Free Member

you beat me to it big_n_daft 🙂

firestarter
    Free Member

Someone spilt someone else’s pint

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

And here was me thinking it was because British territory was invaded by a hostile force. Ho hum.

flip
    Free Member

Well first the Earth cooled, and then….

allthepies
    Free Member

thatcher wanted a war to take peoples minds off what she had done to the working classes and british industry

lol!

Nothing to do with the junta in Argentina wanting to stir up nationalism to take the heat off the screwed state of the nation then ?

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

I thought it was because we were making cutbacks in the region which was interpreted by the Argentinian Government as a signal that we were no longer interested in the Islands.

5thElefant
    Free Member

And here was me thinking it was because British territory was invaded by a hostile force. Ho hum.

An island off the coast of scotland I seem to remember.

gonefishin
    Free Member

Anyone who thinks that there is ever a single cause of a war is naive at best, and foolish at worst.

Harry_the_Spider

They’ve not started cutting up the carriers and harriers yet have they?

stratobiker
    Free Member

Wasn’t it something to do with a lady who wasn’t for turning?

flippinheckler
    Free Member

Falkland Islands began more than 1000 million years ago glacial sediments were turned into stone they formed the rocks or something.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I thought it was because we were making cutbacks in the region which was interpreted by the Argentinian Government as a signal that we were no longer interested in the Islands.

Well it was a combination of Thatcher ordering that HMS Endurance, the only Royal Naval presence in the South Atlantic, be withdrawn, plus the 1981 Nationality Act which stripped the Falkland Islander’s of their British citizenship, that convinced the Junta that Britain was no longer interested in the Falklands. And which they saw as a nod and a wink/green light.

project
    Free Member

allthepies – Member

thatcher wanted a war to take peoples minds off what she had done to the working classes and british industry

lol!

Nothing to do with the *unta in england wanting to stir up nationalism to take the heat off the screwed state of the nation then ?

Posted 7 minutes ago # Report-Post

There fixed it for you.

lol, rofla.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

The same was true of both sides project. On the one hand Thatcher was by then, the most unpopular British Prime Minister ever recorded, and she was certain to lose the next general election. And on the other hand, it was the dying days of a Junta which was also deeply unpopular. Both needed to whip up support which they lacked due their failed policies.

The irony is that up until that point, there was a mutual admiration for each other between the Tories and the Junta. They shared pretty much identical economic policies, and under Thatcher Britain was training and arming the Argentine military, despite the fact that the Junta was at war with its own people and torturing and slaughtering Argentines – something which Thatcher fully supported.

bravohotel8er
    Free Member

project – Member
    thatcher wanted a war to take peoples minds off what she had done to the working classes and british industry, just like this year, with another ………..

And there was me thinking that we went to war in order to recapture British sovereign territory from a military dictatorship that had precisely no popular mandate amongst the overwhelmingly pro-British population.

The fact that this also happened at the height of the Cold War was no small factor either. What on earth do you think the Soviet Union would have made of it if the second most powerful country in NATO hadn’t bothered to defend it’s own territory against a third rate Latin American state?

Grow up FFS!

🙄

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

What on earth do you think the Soviet Union would have made of it if the second most powerful country in NATO hadn’t bothered to defend it’s own territory against a third rate Latin American state?

So it was all done simply to impress the Soviet Union ?

And you suggest that others “grow up” ?

bravohotel8er
    Free Member

ernie_lynch – Member

Yes, that’s exactly the thrust of my post.

Selective quotation is awesome.

You have won the internet.

john_drummer
    Free Member

no need for the “grow up” comments fellas.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Bravo, Ernie is always right. He is all of teh internet awesomeness. Didn’t you know?

project
    Free Member

Is that t he same soviet union that now fails to exist, and was the uk the second strongest country in NATO, now a third world country, being bought out by the chinese and indians.

Grow up, bravohotel8er, AND STOP VOTING CONSERVATIVE.Its bad for the country and jobs.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Selective quotation is awesome.

Well bothers you, let’s have the whole quote

And there was me thinking that we went to war in order to recapture British sovereign territory from a military dictatorship that had precisely no popular mandate amongst the overwhelmingly pro-British population.

The fact that this also happened at the height of the Cold War was no small factor either. What on earth do you think the Soviet Union would have made of it if the second most powerful country in NATO hadn’t bothered to defend it’s own territory against a third rate Latin American state?

Grow up FFS!

🙄

project
    Free Member

Oh and i grew up when all this was happening, and now am watching an exact rerun, with another fool in charge .

backhander
    Free Member

It’s been nothing but fools in charge since the last one.

allthepies
    Free Member

Oh and i grew up when all this was happening, and now am watching an exact rerun, with another fool in charge .

Did you miss the REALLY big screwup with that fella Blair a few years ago ?

project
    Free Member

bliar didnt do anything worthwhile only resign.

Scamper
    Free Member

Which war have the Tory Party started recently?

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

CaptainFlashheart – Member

Bravo, Ernie is always right.

A lesson which you very quickly learnt Flashheart.

But to be fair, you very rarely ever attempt to argue a political point with anyone Flashheart – which is undoubtedly based on the acute self-awareness that you are invariably out of your depth.

project
    Free Member

The one against the working classes ,the family and the industrial workforce of the uk.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Your overbearing self-importance is showing again, Ernie. Put it away.

project
    Free Member

CaptainFlashheart – Member
    Your overbearing self-importance is showing again, Ernie. Put it away.

You make him sound like a conservative.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Well you might be surprised to learn Flashheart, that that doesn’t bother me.

And you resorting to totally irrelevant little digs makes it worthwhile for me.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Glad to provide some saitsfaction for your existence.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

thatcher wanted a war to take peoples minds off what she had done to the working classes and british industry,

That has to be the most bitter twisted pile of crap I’ve ever read on STW

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Double post

Junkyard
    Free Member

Everyone knows flashy only has pithy put downs and no substance he will probably reference the labour [iraq war?] soon rather than say something about the tories

Junkyard
    Free Member

PP are you claiming thatcher was so politically naive that it did not cross her mind that it might just make her popular if she had a war – FFS you probably think Bush never had the same thougtht before his war on terror
    you really should read more on here if you think that is the most twisted thing on stw gay shari swans doing jihad anyone?

big_n_daft
    Free Member

That has to be the most bitter twisted pile of crap I’ve ever read on STW

not really, loads more tosh to come

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 217 total)

The topic ‘Anyone remember how the Falklands began?’ is closed to new replies.