Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Anyone recommend a road route for me near Telford?
  • pictonroad

Going to be up that way on Saturday, something within an hour of Telford, ride length 50 miles or so.

I note the Shropshire Hills are nearby?

Any classic routes we shouldn’t miss?

Thanks

James

jekkyl

your mtb broken? 😛 😉

The Long mynd’s not far away and offers some great singletrack and some lovely forest to cycle through. There’s also cannock chase about 30 mins away down the m54, easy to find.
    I don’t know of any road routes specifically but there is plenty of lovely scenic places around the ironbridge area and then head towards much wenlock and perhaps to church stretton for some lunch before heading home. Or follow the river severn for a more flatter longer ride. Telford itself and north of that area is very flat so you could go for distance over altitude.

pictonroad

my mountain bikes are fine. I’m taking a fickle friend and he’s only just getting back on the bike, don’t want to knock his enthusiasm with freezing puddles and mud.

I’ll stick those places on the map and join the dots. Thanks for the suggestions. 🙂

aP
    Free Member

I you head towards Much Wenlock and then on to Church Stretton and Craven arms, to the west of Wenlock Edge, then come back on the eastern side through Diddlebury and Shipton that should be ok. Not too much climbing, not too much traffic and opportunities for stopping off at cafes etc along the way there and back.

bikebouy
    Free Member

My recommendation would be head to Ironbridge, out towards Buildwas on the B4380 towards Shrewsbury, turn off at Cressage (left) then head towards Cound/Pitchford then Kenly and Longville, head back onto B4371 heading back to Much Wenlock then B4376 to Brosley and back down the hill into Ironbridge.
    This (like many routes around here) was one of my training routes. It’ll take you along the flat valley floor through the Gorge and out into the Bumps, you’ll not hit the big bumps of Stretton but you will encounter some that will take you a bit of a spin to get up, not long just enough to stretch your legs, then you’ll hit the top of Wnelock Edge which in itself is spectacular for both views and climb up onto it, then heading back into Brosley before Ironbridge to finish the loop.
    It’ll be about 50 miles, you can shorten it if you/your mate feels a bit off and easy head back to Much Wenlock after Cressage then back into Ironbridge.

Failing that a loop out from Ironbridge up towards the Wrekin, out along to Upton Magne and High Ercall then over to Harper Adams Collage and turn around and head back to Ironbridge along the lanes to Legommery and through Wellington and back to the Wrekin and back to Ironbridge.
    This route will head along the flatter open fields of the Shropshire Plain and it’s rolling and open, a decent distance and not too tasking only the first climb out of Ironbridge to the Wrekin and visversa back upto the Wrekin and down the hill into Ironbridge again.

Carparking, Ironbridge has loads in Coalbrookdale..

HTH

pictonroad

Brilliant, I’ll map that lot out before I head up.

Above and beyond, love this place.

RoterStern
    Free Member

You could also head off in the other direction from Ironbridge along the river to Bridgenorth and Kiddy if you want some mildly undulating roads. There is also a pathed cycle path from the Town Centre Park to Ironbridge if you want to park your car there, too.

Edit; Just remembered it’s called the Silkin Way.

monkeychild
    Free Member

Silkin way is good, but full of rogue walkers.

BigJohn

For an emotional ride from Telford you can go to Sleap, then be at Woore and end up at Loggerheads. That’s just over 50 miles.

pictonroad

Thanks to Bikebouy. We took the suggested route, bit of a shock to my Southern System to actually be on roads without a constant stream of traffic. There’s a lot of space up that way.

Really good ride, thanks for taking the time to write the post.

James

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Anyone recommend a road route for me near Telford?’ is closed to new replies.