Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Anyone racing in Europe with a BC license?
  • RoterStern
    Free Member

I want to start racing with a license next year, mainly for cross as the non license regional races are completely over subscribed and are only for 30 minutes, and was wondering if there any peculiarities with racing with a British license. I am based in Germany and though I could get a German license the bureaucracy is a bit off putting (you first need to join a club first, with costs that include, before you can apply). Anyone got any tips. I’ll be *gulp* 46 next year so will be racing in the German equivalent of Vets.

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

If you’re a Brit then you can get a British racing licence and apply for a permission to race in Europe with it. Not sure if you’d be missing out on anything though if you’re racing in Germany without a German licence.

RoterStern
    Free Member

I seem to recall a German racer once telling me that I would have to race in the elite cat if I was to use a British licence. Is that true?

alanl
    Free Member

No, you dont go in Elite. Unless things have changed in the last 7 years or so.
    I cant even recall applying for an Overseas permit. In fact at the time, I’m pretty sure I only had the basic bronze licence.
    I did the Masters CX once, and was roundly beaten into nearly last place, and one night race in Woerden, NL. There were 6 or 7 races on the night, ending up with the Elite racing last.
    Pretty much just like the local races here, but the riders are better, even in the vets/useless oldies race.
    I did enjoy the experience, but was nowhere near good enough to compete.

benw
    Free Member

Join the local club,you will no doubt be helped to get your license, given a club kit,find some people to go race with and also be doing your bit for local cycling.I have lived and raced here in italy for nine years now and joining the local club was the first thing i did.

RoterStern
    Free Member

I don’t need to join a club. I have been racing here in the MTB marathon scene for the last 14 years without problems and I ride for a shop team. If I join a club I would have to race with the club’s colours rather than the shop’s. Plus you have to be invited into a club which is also not so easy here.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Anyone racing in Europe with a BC license?’ is closed to new replies.