Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Anyone planning a bike tour next year?
  • Pickers

I’ve 2 in mind, one on the outer Hebrides from Barra probably as far as the top end of Harris; the 2nd is the west coast of France – ferry to St Malo then down to Spain, across to Bilbao and back from there by ferry.
    Would like to do both but a bit time limited.
    What do the intrepid folk here have in mind?

MisterT

got one that goes from Manchester to Skye taking in many great routes enroute including some 7 stanes …. 6 to 8 of us doing it… roadtrip her we come… but can’t say any more otherwise it wouldn’t be our special private route….

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Was thinking of a couple of days touring with the nipper. Looking at somwhere flat as I don’t think her little legs will cope with mooching round the cornish hills.

ton

i have one every year.
    in the last 5 years been to scotland for 3 weeks offroad tours
    1 week in the pyrenees on the road and 1 week in the alps mixed road/offroad.
    next year we are doing something new to us.
    riding straight from home and seeing where we end up.
    looking forward to it too…… 8)

mcmoonter
    Free Member

I booked my flights for the Trans Am next year. Its a 4300 mile ride from Virginia to Oregon. I regret not having ridden it before now but feel the time is right now. When I get to Oregon I’ll ride Cycle Oregon which is a brilliant event.

http://www.cycleoregon.com/week-ride/

RoterStern
    Free Member

A Kiwi work colleage of mine is about to emabark on his small bike tour starting from Germany and ending in New Zealand taking in the Middle East, Afgahnistan, India, China and God knows where else in between. He estimates it’s going to take him around 2 years if anyone is interested in going!

Rik
    Free Member

Whole top of Scotland for me and the gf. Black Isle, Ullapool, inverlochy, Durness, JoG and back to the Black Isle all wild camping.

Plus the Coast to Coast as a warm up.

Rik
    Free Member

Pickers – Outer Hebrides bike tour 18 months ago was the best holiday I’ve ever had. Enjoy

samuri
    Free Member

Aye. I quite fancy flying out to somewhere far away and riding back. Current plan in my head is saying Italy, North Med coast, then up through France, across to Dover, medway valley, england, our house.

Seems like quite a long way though, I might need more than a bank holiday weekend. Maybe I’ll just ride up France.

13thfloormonk

Either the west coast of Norway, S-N, or the coast of Scotland, starting at Gretna and finishing back in Edinburgh. Haven’t planned either yet, and fancy picking up a fast/light tourer with a trailer instead of emasculating myself on the road bike for 15 days…

I’m also getting a bit interested in hillwalking, might end up doing three days over the Cruachan ridge, the Glen Etive hills and the Blackmount hills, or four days in Knoydart. The pedalling might need to take a back seat until 2012…

Pickers

These big tours look fantastic!
    How much planning goes on with these? I’ve only ever ridden out with a bike load of gear and a map and made it up as I go, but never done more than a week or so. Always been able to buy food etc as I go.

mimi123
    Free Member

:lol:hubby is doing mega avalanch in france so alps for us!

poisonspider
    Free Member

Not a tour as such but plans are afoot for Whistler next year. The official start of my midlife crisis. 😕

alpinegirl
    Free Member

I’m heading off to America for my first time next year for my first longish tour. I’m getting pretty excited and my new Hewitt Cheviott bike in a lovely blue just arrived at my parents house yesterday. I’m staying around the western part of America visiting all the places that look interesting to me:
    LA – Death Valley – south to Arizona – east a bit – Grand Canyon – Zion & Canyonlands in Utah – Yellowstone – Montana – British Columbia… then I’ll see how my bank account and legs are feeling.

Pickers – I think different people do different levels of planning depending on your personality. I’ve heard of some people who plan every single day (route and place to sleep) for up to 3 or 4 months, I have found a vague route but am open to detours and want to have it pretty flexible in terms of how far I ride each day, maybe stopping a few days in a nice place. Look at CGOABjournals for lots of inspiration!

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

ooo exotics!

I did an enjoyable off-road Exmoor two dayer this summer. I was thinking about doing an off-road Brecon Beacons two-dayer next summer.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Anyone planning a bike tour next year?’ is closed to new replies.