Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Anyone own/ridden a Calibre Bossnut?
  • gusman2x
    Free Member

Looking to pull the cycle to work trigger on one of these. Only thing I can’t be 100% on is the size.

I’m 5’10 so kind of assume that the 19″ would be right for me as it’ll be the “medium”. Guy in the shop said he was 5’8 and the 17 fit him well so I should go for that. So, not really sure, and they don’t have any to sit on.

Anyone ridden/got one. If so what height are you, and what size did you ride? I’ve heard it’s got quite a short top tube.

I’ll find it difficult to gage it myself straight away, as it’ll be my first “modern” bike.

YETIboyJAY
    Free Member

Hello mate, i had a medium Bergamont Enduro 6.7 (German brand) frame that i believe this is a variation of. That one, i have to say looked a little better finished in terms of the quality of the little linkage part and having logo’s embossed into the frame etc. Otherwise it looks the same.

I am 6′ 1” and found it very short. For your size though it should be fine. They are quite old fashioned geometry TBH- tall and short.

I’m not convinced that’s the best use of your £1000 to be honest with you. If you are set on it though the medium should be fine.

thepodge
    Free Member

I’m 5:10 and for my preferred ETT (since there is little else given) I’d need the 21.5 inch frame which is probably wouldn’t fit my legs.

fooman

Halfords have a clearance on the 650B FS Pro @ £1200 (-10% for BC membership) the spec is better look at that too

gusman2x
    Free Member

Thanks guys. For my £1000 it needs to be a new bike, as I’ll be getting it on CTWS. Otherwise I’d be spending my money on a s/h bike.

To be honest, the way it works out it’ll be a low cost option for me, and gets me something more capable than what I’ve got. I’m currently riding a 94 clockwork with cantilevers and forks that don’t move. So anything else will feel like a different world. If I have a good year on it, I’ll probably upgrade to something later.

cutting62
    Free Member

I do own actually own a Bossnut. I am 5’10 1/2″ and opted for the 19.5″ by recommendation of the sales assistant. When I received it I rode it around the shop and it felt very large even compared to my medium Santacruz Highball 29er. While standing over it my man bits were resting on the top tube. I called the Shefield store which is based next to there actual factory and testing centre and spoke to a guy who actually races downhill and he advised I go for the 17.5″ if using it for trail centres and fun tight twisty stuff.
    So, I sent it back and waited 2 months for the small frame and I have NEVER looked back. It is so comfy and measures similar geometry to my Highball which is an awesome bike. I personally always go for the smaller frame if I am between sizes as I don’t like to feel stretched whilst riding fast on technical trails. It is an awesome bike and everything works as it should and I don’t feel the need to upgrade any part until they naturally wear out. I added a dropper post cut 20mm off of both ends of the bars and just ride it. It’s fun, lighter than many of my friends more expensive full suss’s.

If you want to keep it fun and chuck it around go for the small frame.

Also, I got it on the cycle scheme which for me ends up costing approx £560, No brainer for the money.

Good luck and hope this helps

thepodge
    Free Member

called the Shefield store which is based next to there actual factory and testing centre

I’m not sure this is true at all.

brant
    Free Member

I’m not sure this is true at all.

Go Outdoors HQ is down the road from the Sheffield store.

gonzy
    Free Member

my friend has ordered one and is picking it up in 2 weeks when the CTW paperwork is done and the bike is in stock. he’s the same height as you OP and has ordered the same size.

gonzy
    Free Member

updateto my previous post. he’s just messaged me to say he’s cancelled the order and has managed to get a boardman pro for much less on the same scheme.

gonzy
    Free Member

new update: halfords dont accept cyclescheme which is how he’s getting it so he cant have the boardman. go outdoors do accept that scheme so he is going to get the bossnut after all. 😀

johnnystorm

Gonzy’s mate has just emailed me to say the four horseriders of the apocalypse have just ridden over the horizon so he has gone to await rapture with the other chosen few. So no bossnut or boardman. Maybe.

Northwind

Haven’t ridden it but it’s bloody impressive on paper and in the metal, ridiculous value. And they’ve done a brilliant job of other bikes.

Calibre designer chap was posting on here in the epic Dune thread, maybe he’ll see this?

gusman2x
    Free Member

I do own actually own a Bossnut. I am 5’10 1/2″ and opted for the 19.5″ by recommendation of the sales assistant. When I received it I rode it around the shop and it felt very large even compared to my medium Santacruz Highball 29er. While standing over it my man bits were resting on the top tube. I called the Shefield store which is based next to there actual factory and testing centre and spoke to a guy who actually races downhill and he advised I go for the 17.5″ if using it for trail centres and fun tight twisty stuff.
    So, I sent it back and waited 2 months for the small frame and I have NEVER looked back. It is so comfy and measures similar geometry to my Highball which is an awesome bike. I personally always go for the smaller frame if I am between sizes as I don’t like to feel stretched whilst riding fast on technical trails. It is an awesome bike and everything works as it should and I don’t feel the need to upgrade any part until they naturally wear out. I added a dropper post cut 20mm off of both ends of the bars and just ride it. It’s fun, lighter than many of my friends more expensive full suss’s.

If you want to keep it fun and chuck it around go for the small frame.

Also, I got it on the cycle scheme which for me ends up costing approx £560, No brainer for the money.

Good luck and hope this helps

Much appreciated man, made my mind up for the 17.5 then. My main reason for checking is that I’m currently really stretched on my old bike, and on long rides I get a really sore neck and shoulders.

Try and change my order today. Dead excited!

thepodge
    Free Member

brant – Go Outdoors HQ is down the road from the Sheffield store.

HQ is not factory and test centre though is it?

gusman2x
    Free Member

Just picked up my 17.5″ bossnut.

Can’t get out until Sunday morning. Aaarrrggghhh!!!?!?

bruceandhisbonus
    Free Member

Has anyone got any long term reviews on this bike? It seems incredible value and there is actually a second hand one for sale near me.

wwaswas

have another search on here – think there were some bikes with frame/shock issues at full travel.

baldiebenty
    Free Member

I’m 5′ 10″ and I’ve had a Bossnut (I thought it was a 19.5 but now I’m doubting myself) since April-ish and had no problems other than snapping a pivot bolt/sleeve when I tried to tighten it up, something I think is a known issue (the weakness) and it took the grand total of 5 days to get a replacement part. I tried the smaller one too around the store and it felt like a clown bike to me, just too small. So I’d deffo suggest sitting on the size options.

Riding about 2-3 times a week round Cwmcarn, Forest Of Dean, Project 417 doing blues & reds and downhills, I’ve had to replace 2 sets of brake pads, gone tubeless, added a dropper post and a 20mm shorter stem IIRC, changed pedals a few times (I’m a clutz and keep breaking them with rock strikes, I’m also cheap so I buy cheap pedals) and changed the grips because it was Christmas (think I prefer the originals). Swapped the original front to the rear and put a Specialized tyre of some description on the front for winter.

I’m still on the entire original drive-train, but I’ve bent a couple of gears on the cassette twice I think through my ham-fisted removal of the rear wheel, a few whacks with a hammer and a block of wood has sorted them out.

It’s a far more capable bike than I am rider and although I find myself looking at much more expensive bikes because they’re new and shiny I still love mine which reminds me, it needs a clean ready for Sunday 🙂

bruceandhisbonus
    Free Member

wwaswas – Member
    have another search on here – think there were some bikes with frame/shock issues at full travel.

POSTED 1 HOUR AGO # REPORT-POST
    wwaswas – Member
    found it: http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/calibre-bossnut-potential-problem

POSTED 59 MINUTES AGO # REPORT-POST

Yes I did read that, can’t seem to find out much more about it though.

I’m just riding a hardtail at the moment and would really love a full suss to make the trail riding that bit more comfortable. I’m very much a budget biker (HT is a Voodoo Bizango which has been brilliant) as I don’t believe my skill/use requires something top of the range.

Thanks for the input ‘baldiebenty’, good to hear a review from someone who has done a lot of riding on one.

prawny

The above thread about the problems was mine, I’ve still got the bossnut, and although the current one is still faulty I’m hanging on until the new new ones come out and they’re replacing mine with one of them (will be the 4th one!)

It’s a great bike though despite the (admittedly minor) issue. To be honest, the replacements haven’t been as bad as the original one was, but it’s not right, so I’m hanging on. I thought about getting my money back and getting the boardman, but I’ve seen a fair few reports of bits dropping off the boardmans too.

I know the size question is really old now but it’s an odd combination of old and new school geometry. Head tube is fine, top tube is a tad shorter than ideal but the seat tube is too long for a decent length dropper post.
    Best thing to do is work out how much post you can run and try and get to a happy medium. I’m 5’10/11 and I’m on a 19″ would have prefered the reach of the large, but I can only run a 100mm dropper on the medium.

Edit – Just clocked you’re currently on a Bizango which was my previous bike. The Bossnut is a lot more comfortable and capable

baldiebenty
    Free Member

No problem, I came to the Bossnut from exactly the same position except my HT was a Carrera. I’ve still got that but it hasn’t seen light of day since I got the Bossnut.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Anyone own/ridden a Calibre Bossnut?’ is closed to new replies.