Viewing 13 posts - 41 through 53 (of 53 total)
  • anyone own an orange 5 with coil shock and 36's?
  • skywalker
    Free Member

You can do an air can service yourself in about 10 minutes, its hardly rocket science.

rotten
    Free Member

Love mine for all types of riding.
    36 TALAS
    CCDB with ti spring (amazing believe the hype)
    Reverb (hate riding without one)
    Crossmax SX
    Hope M4
    XTR
    Answer carbon bars
    High Roller super tacky (only front tyre for me)Rubber Queen rear
    All in weighs under 31 pounds

Rik
    Free Member

I know plenty about suspension thanks.

Anybody who uses ‘works out cheaper’ and CCDB in the sane sentence, and bothered about excessive air sleeve maintenance cleary needs to get a grip. Like I say ‘what a load of crap’.

I didn’t mention coil shocks don’t work better than air, because they cleary do. Thats from someone who has been using a ccdb on an Orange for 12 months before Orange started spec’ing them. But the gap is closing quickly with air shocks like the kashima rp23 which has been shimmed correctly.

Rik
    Free Member

Oh and Rotten you need to buy some new scales as I have nearly an identical set up and it weighs 33.5lb

Rik
    Free Member

Oh nearly forgot to the guy who started the thread.

Awesome, awesome bike, massively capable, climbs fine, still fun on trail centres but I’d only buy it if you live somewhere rocky like the Peaks, Lakes or Scotland as it does flatten easier trails.

There is a place for a 5AM rather than an Alpine 160. They are very different bikes the alpine is a mini DH bike the AM is a hugely capable trail bike.

rotten
    Free Member

Bike was weighed on LBS scales, given a 5pro weighs around 28lb add 1lb each for shock, post and forks I thought 31lb would be about right.Don’t care anyway, rides superb. Do it BMC09 you’ll love it.

soobalias
    Free Member

anything under 35lbs tends to get blown off course on rooty off camber corners in anything past a 10mph breeze.

21dwb
    Free Member

I would rather be on an Alpine in all conditions over a five am. For trail riding go with a five with 140 kaskima float up front and ccdb & maxle at rear. The toughest decision is which colour to go for!

kevolution
    Free Member

It’s worked out far cheaper because I’ve not needed to get it serviced since it’s been on the bike due to the fact it’s very basic tech I reckon. I ride everything from trail centres to secret natural black graded trails and some DH tracks, so it gets a fair bit of abuse.

My air shock on my XC local/evening ride bike needed annual servicing at £100 a time over the same period. (swapped that for a HT now)
    And both bikes got ridden on 2-3 hr loops every week.
    So by comparison it’s been far cheaper to keep the coil shock on the 5.

Rik, I didn’t use the terms Cheaper and CCDB in the same sentence, or even the same post. However, you did. Not sure what you mean there fella.
    My point was the heat management is better with coil shocks which offsets the oil degradation to some degree.
    The insulating properties of the air sleeve and added friction from the air seals are the issues I wanted to get across. Coupled with the more compilcated internal porting to accomodate muliple platform settings. This leads to shocks that run hotter and cavitate faster, EVEN IF you carry out regular air sleeve maintenance.
    The CCDB reference was due to the fact it allows for all the adjustment and gets even better results with less fade due to the way it ports the oil.
    I don’t do marketing BS I just cut it down to basics. Some folk don’t appreciate that, but I can’t do much about it. I just tell it like it is.

skywalker
    Free Member

It’s worked out far cheaper because I’ve not needed to get it serviced since it’s been on the bike

My air shock on my XC local/evening ride bike needed annual servicing at £100 a time over the same period.

I thought you serviced suspension for a living?

Plus the CCDB service interval is the same as an RP23.

kevolution
    Free Member

I do, but I’m mindful that people reading these threads have to pay for servicing.

The RP23 is also a high performance piece of kit. So the service intervals would be the same.(the fact it’s fitted to a wide range of bikes as OEM equipment doesn’t alter this)

I service my kit when it needs doing, and I service customers’ kit when they request it.
    I mainly service forks these days, but I trained with Mojo Race technicians a few years back. And I’m also qualfied to service Manitou, Maverick, Marzocchi, Pace, and Rockshox.

But if it ain’t broke,I don’t fix it. I advise the customer on what they may need, ask them what they want doing, and then deliver it.

randomjeremy
    Free Member

I have a 5 with 36s up front and a CCDB out back, it’s incredible. So good in fact I ditched my DH bike and my XC bike and just ride this one now. It’s great up and down, whether that’s in the Alps, uplift days, all day trekking, whatever.

The balance of the bike does change with 36s up front instead of 130/140mm forks but I wouldn’t say it was for the worse, it’s much more stable on rocky downhills, which is why you buy a 5 and stick a CCDB and 36s on it, right? 😀

flange
    Free Member

Coil U-turn lyriks and CCDB with Ti here. I wanted something I could ride at Cannock/Wales and at the same time do the Mega on. Alpine160 seemed overkill for what I needed and the Five does everything I want. Run the forks at 140mm for UK riding, bump up to 160mm for severe stuff. As for the RP23 to CCDB swap, I could never get the RP set up how I wanted it. The CCDB is an awesome bit of kit and feels much better suited to the frame.

Different strokes for different folks though. I use mine for a lot of DH based jumpy stuff and I’m quite a big chap so the original forks and shock bottom’d out a lot. Doing this all day…

…ended up buggering the rear shock which then had to be replaced. I don’t really do all day riding in the hills sort of stuff so weight isn’t really an issue to me. I can see how it would be to some though, but the adaptability of the frame lets you run it either way. Thats why Fives are great!

Viewing 13 posts - 41 through 53 (of 53 total)

The topic ‘anyone own an orange 5 with coil shock and 36's?’ is closed to new replies.