Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Anyone out there know about fitting woodburners?
  • winston_dog
    Free Member

What are the problems and typical costs of getting a suitable flue fitted in a house with no chimney?

Is it eye watering expensive?

Do you need planning permission or just fulfil building regs requirements?

Anyone had it done?

Thanks it advance to the STW homestyle consultants.

geoffj

If you are in England or Wales, get a HETAS engineer to have a look and quote. You don’t need to deal with building regs if they do the work for you.

totalshell

your looking at circa 100 per meter for materials plus labour

Tracker1972
    Free Member

£100 a meter? When pondering where one could go in our house I was considering a stove with one of those metal flues straight up, through two ceilings and through the roof. Would need some kind of heatproof arrangement through the ceiling/floor I appreciate and possibly boxing in upstairs, but really £100 a meter for materials? Bugger…

bedmaker

£100 per metre is only realy allowing for straight lengths of fairly cheap chimney. Add adaptors, bands, roof plates, wall/joist hangers, flashing and top cap to that.
    Worth every last penny though.

Vader
    Free Member

best quote i had for a woodburner in my bungalow (so only one ceiling and shorter flue etc) was just under 3k with a stove that was around £600.

I would definitely recommend getting someone round to qoute though and talk through a load of options and details that I would have never considered otherwise.

You can’t beat a burner though, better than an idiot lantern every day of the week. 🙂

winston_dog
    Free Member

I have just been told by a showroom that the ballpark cost would be about £1500, for the flue, that is based on passing through an outside wall on the ground floor and running up the outside of the house.

I thought that might of been on the high side and was expecting about £1000 from what totalshell said. However, that seems cheap compared to vaders quote!

I have found a couple of local installers on the HETAS website and will give them a ring for a quote.

totalshell

basic metre lenghts of flue are 100 quid add in the caping bends drains etc and 1500 is an average price for the materails for the flue

PePPeR

From what I’ve found is, some installers will quote you cheap to get the work and then they do their favourite trick of adding in the extras!

bedmaker

From what I’ve found is, some installers will quote you cheap to get the work and then they do their favourite trick of adding in the extras!

This is easy to remedy – get a written quote(email or paper) saying very clearly what is included and what is not included. Applicable to any trade.

johnny

i’m reviving this thread, apologies if it’s been covered elsewhere- I was quoted a minimum of £2000 to install a woodburner this morning.

This would be for a chimney running straight up through a single storey roof (which has been built with space for a chimney to go in it already)and then run up the side of the external wall and vent above the second storey. In total, about 7-8 metres, plus flashing.

Realistic, or taking the p**s?. And what are the issues around self installation? Thanks.

mattsccm
    Free Member

Get a few qoutes. If they come out much the same you know that no one is taking the piss. Or all of them maybe 😆

Stoner
    Free Member

my experience is fairly limited but I put it in here
    http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/log-burners-advice#post-2988935

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Anyone out there know about fitting woodburners?’ is closed to new replies.