• This topic has 39 replies, 35 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by Ro5ey.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • anyone never use an iron?
  • sadexpunk

and no i dont mean “no, the wife does it” type answers, im thinking of whether theres anything out there to abolish this most tiresome of chores…

a quick google shows people hanging clothes on the shower rail and switching the shower on for a few mins to steam them, tumble drying with ice cubes then hanging immediately, anyone got any good ideas?

cheers

Matt_SS_xc

Never use an iron. Don’t think I know where it is!
    PE teacher so work clothes don need ironing. Everything else just gets hung up and never seems to be a problem.
    My special occasion 1 shirt gets hung up and never looks like it needs ironing!

Rorschach
    Free Member

Don’t own anything worth ironing….or any ‘shoes’.

MrSalmon
    Free Member

IMO the only things that really need ironing are shirts, and in my (very limited) experience I’ve found the M&S ‘no iron’ ones work pretty much as advertised, just hang ’em up out of the wash.

bearnecessities

Ironing is a cathartic Sunday evening thing for me. Crack out the iron, pour a glass of something, and turn a bundle of crumpled cotton into a series of beautifully pressed set of shirts and troosers.

My Dad though (and this was a shocker for me to discover at the age of 37), who is a full-on Yorkshire man with a great ‘tash and is just generally a giant stack of gentlemanly manliness, IRONS HIS BEDDING???

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

About once a year, on the very rare occasion that I feel the need to wear a shirt that warrants ironing. I’ve probably used the snowboard wax iron far more than the household clothes iron.

maccruiskeen

Once every 3 or 4 years we have go try and work out where the iron is – most recently when the two of us were going to the BAFTAs and had to iron the folds out of clothes that had arrived by post. Never use one otherwise.

We don’t use a tumble drier, just spin dry stuff, shake it out well and hang it out to dry

nickdavies

Like bear I just do it on a Sunday, despite my best efforts to buy non iron shirts they’re just not sharp enough without! There are no tricks that work properly!

Tracey

Kevin never has, his excuse is you can’t buy a left handed one.

breadcrumb

Only when really necessary. I can’t remember the last time to be honest.

I’ll have a shirt to probably need ironing next week, then that should be it for a good while.

parkesie
    Free Member

Cycling kit jeans and coveralls are my daily clothes no ironing for me these days unless i need to wear a shirt.

sheeps

Like bearnecessities i find it cathartic on a Sunday evening and makes the F1 grand prix that MrsSheeps insists on watching bearable! Having said that, a bunch of Charles Truwitt non iron shirts purchased recently seems to be doing as advertised

bearnecessities

Man shirt.

Ironed, then de-cufflinked for extreme stuff

maccruiskeen

The trick to never having to iron your shirts is to buy ones that are really, really tight.

Houns

*shudders at thought of wearing un ironed clothes*

P-Jay
    Free Member

Nope, well not for myself – I iron my wife’s uniform for work and my son’s school polos but I’m a professional scruff.

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

Does your cleaner not do it for you? Pleb.

ernie67

Don’t mind doing it tbh – Sunday afternoon with the football on .
    Just need to find a decent iron – latest one’s pants

nickjb
    Free Member

Almost never. Last time was probably my wedding 3 years ago; wife ironed my shirt.

Greybeard
    Free Member

I only use one to wax skis

eddiebaby
    Free Member

I have a soldering iron (4 in fact) but not a clothes iron. If it’s important to be proper smart I take my shirts to a local laundress.

somafunk

I’ve never owned an iron, ironing board but then again i have never owned a shirt, trousers or suit.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Does your cleaner not do it for you? Pleb.

Such is the level of my working class scuminess that even if I had £10m in the bank I couldn’t employ servants, I mean I stopped having my shopping delivered because I couldn’t face having them bring it into the kitchen like I was Lord Muck!

Pleb for life!

ampthill

We Iron for the odd wedding and that is it

When I did wear shirts i used no iron ones and looked a little crumpled

sweepy
    Free Member

I used the house iron to wax my snowboard and it took her 3 years to find out.

The odd occasion i’m required to wear a shirt I just buy one then throw it away after.

doris5000

i never iron, but i don’t need to look super sharp at work. i generally wear slightly heavier shirts that don’t crease so easily – like chambray etc, and a knitted tie so that it looks like i might have made an effort

slimjim78
    Free Member

Tumble drier does the job of an iron. Get clothes hot and dry, immediately hang, not a crease to be found

bencooper
    Free Member

I own one proper shirt, for weddings and funerals. It’s a non-iron one. So no, we never use an iron.

mrsfry
    Free Member

No. Not built for it.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

Daily

glasgowdan
    Free Member

My mother in law irons everything, teatowels, pants, bedding…it’s crazy. Life’s too short. I iron nothing.

sadexpunk

must admit, these answers werent what i was expecting. i was expecting a few ingenious ideas, not just the lack of being bothered! 😀

and ‘cathartic’ ^^^?? 😯

lunge

I too kind of like ironing. But then I also wears suit and shirt every work day, mainly by choice, and also like to wear “nice” clothes whenever I can.

saxabar
    Free Member

Spent years in the iron for board wax camp, but I’ve recently had to smarten up. Life’s too short for baskets of ironing, but so are jeans and trainers. Plus a little ironing is cathartic. An investment in the self! 🙂

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

The wife has an iron, that she uses during clothes manufacture.

I think the bottom of the pile of things to iron is probably fairly close to being coal.

takisawa2

What else am I going to do while Antiques Roadshow is on !!!
    Can’t beat a nice, freshly ironed shirt.

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

Can’t beat a nice, freshly ironed shirt.

A freshly washed, unironed t-shirt does.

scu98rkr
    Free Member

I never use an iron, I just hang shirts up rather than put them in the drier.

However often certain shirts/jumpers do look like they need an iron.

I deal with this by just putting them on and forgetting about it.

It does mean I look a mess sometimes, but I find it just does really bother me that much.

Gunz
    Free Member

After 20 years in the Armed Forces I am now slightly worried that I shuddered internally at the thought of wearing a non-iron shirt – I need to get out more (nevertheless, they are evil, right up there with a poorly executed half Windsor).

Ro5ey
    Free Member

V neck woollen jumpers

Took to wearing them a few years back over my white works shirts… for that continental look, don’t you know 😀

I’ve since realised that, what with the only bits of shirt now being seen are the collars and cuffs, there is no point in ironing the shirt really

Win win

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘anyone never use an iron?’ is closed to new replies.