Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Anyone near the Wye? (Ross to Monmouth stretch)
  • CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

What's the water level like? Am pondering a canoe trip, and don't really want to go if there's merely a trickle!

MrWoppit
    Free Member

The canoe trip is better if there's less water – it flows faster and the rapids are gnarlier…

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Aye, but from experience, not if there's too little water! In which case it becomes a very tiring slog, especially the last bend round to the Saracens at Symonds Yat!

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Aye.

anokdale
    Free Member

I will have the long haired General deliver a report, she works in Monmouth and will be driving from there to Ross in the AM to take my lad to school, Wait out….

molgrips
    Free Member

We were there today, although not on the river. It was pretty low, and the rapids were reasonable just downstream of Symmonds' Yat. I certainly wouldn't have liked to paddle up them, if that's what you're suggesting. Lovely down tho.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Thanks, all. Virtual pints winging their way towards you…!

Oh, and certainly going downstream! Just want to make sure there's enough water to make it a fun trip!

molgrips
    Free Member

Lots of people today seemed to be having fun. Some slow bits mind, but I'm sure there are anyway. Just pretend you're Ray Mears.

anokdale
    Free Member

CFH – From the other half, "it is low but not as low as it can be" yeah really helpfull, i guess there maybe some portage involved.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Hmm, thanks, Anokdale! My thanks to your other half for her valuable insight! 😉

Steelfreak
    Free Member

The Wye looked pretty wet to me yesterday near Ross…

(Don't forget to stop for a 'swift half' at The Saracens Head.)

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Sttelfreak, from experience, you can never just have a half there! We usually spend the night there en route down to Monmouth. Pull the canoes out, put 'em in the yard behind the pub, shitshowershave and down to the bar for several! 😉

gwaelod
    Free Member
    CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Gwaelod, diolch yn fawr!

psling
    Free Member

I commute alongside the Wye between Monmouth and Ross – the river is low at the moment but still navigable, fair bit of weed in places (Monmouth end).

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Anyone near the Wye? (Ross to Monmouth stretch)’ is closed to new replies.