Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Anyone manage to use a Garmin edge with Linux
  • firestarter
    Free Member

I have a laptop with no windows os on it and can’t find a way to use my Garmin edge touring with it. Anyone any ideas?

I used to have windows and still have the key but no windows disc doh…

TheBrick
    Free Member

I’ve used a Garmin on Linux but not an edge. All I wanted / needed to do as place gpx file on the unit.

Do you need more than this?

Have you tried wine for the Garmin application? Do you know if the app is a Java based? That could help with wine setup.

timba
    Free Member

I don’t have an Edge but my Etrex 30 works with Linux. Try installing Media Transfer Protocol (MTP) that lets phones and other USB media devices work. There are some different versions but mine uses MTPFS that you can install through the package manager (Synaptic, or similar), which sorts any dependencies as well

deadkenny
    Free Member

If you just want to upload FIT files to Garmin Connect, Strava etc, Linux should in theory see the Garmin as a USB drive, possibly without additional drivers. Browse to the Activities folder on the Garmin and upload the files from there. Similar if you want to copy files to the Garmin.

Not automated, but then on Windows I do the same because I don’t trust Garmin Express. Has been issues in the past with trashed files and had suspicions on Express, plus I was finding problems with shutting down the PC with Express installed. On top of that it tries to force a firmware upgrade on the Garmin whether you like it or not, and new Garmin firmware is often very buggy, especially major versions. I like to wait a long time until people seem happy, or not bother at all unless I have issues that might be fixed by new firmware.

Another option, the Touring uses SD cards I think? Could just pop the card out and stick it in an SD reader to copy files.

gravity-slave
    Free Member

I use Linux and an Edge

Just connect with cable, mount as drive and access activities, copy on routes and upload firmware.

I can’t remember off hand but there are instructions online which folder to place files in and there’s a repository of firmware you can download and copy.

firestarter
    Free Member

I can see the edge as a USB and can see the fit files to transfer to strava but the file is too big as it says less than 25mb. Also I can’t work out how to plan a route and put it on to the edge either

deadkenny
    Free Member

Something not right there, unless your ride was a week long epic in one file!

A whole day out, even at 1 second interval setting on my Edge (admitted standard Edge, not touring), and around 500kb. Don’t think I’ve had a FIT go over 1mb.

Though try linking Garmin Connect web site account to Strava and upload to Connect, which will sync to Strava.

Routes are tricky. Ideally you need to use Garmin Basecamp which can create them. Connect web site does routes but you need Express to sync them, and as I say I won’t use it (last time I tried to use it to sync a route it kept insisting it needs to sync the route and never did). Routes are different from just a GPX or FIT, but can’t remember why.

firestarter
    Free Member

Will have another play
    I can’t get Garmin connect to work on Linux as apparently its no longer supported on wine. It’s all rather annoying lol

soma_rich
    Free Member

For planning routes, I use http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/create/ then save the .GPX file to “new files” on my edge, it then converts it to the Garmin format. I still get all the turn notifications.

I might try my touring on Ubuntu tonight but I usually use Win10 and Garmin Connect.

mrsfry
    Free Member

Could you use Golden Cheetah?

GoldenCheetah

firestarter
    Free Member

Thanks I will try both of those later

deadkenny
    Free Member

Don’t bother with Connect/Express app. Just use their web site. Log in and go to Activities list and there’s an import button.

Link Strava to Connect first, I think you do that from Strava’s web site. Once uploaded to Connect it will sync to Strava each time you upload.

firestarter
    Free Member

Ah I didn’t realise I could just log in to Garmin I thought you had to use connect thanks

sirromj

I use Garmin Edge 510 in Linux, just plug in via USB and its registers as a mass storage device (like it does in Windows). From here I upload to Strava via file-upload and don’t bother with Garmin s/w.

Not much software on Linux can read .fit files (Golden Cheetah being one that can), but there’s a python program to convert them to tcx here:

https://github.com/Tigge/FIT-to-TCX

If using Arch Linux, you can install the package fittotcx-git from the AUR – if not, you’ll have to follow the documentation on the FIT-to-TCX github page (good luck).

For offline viewing/manipulation Viking GPS is pretty good (once used to it’s ways) but if you want to use rides you’ve already done you’ll need GPX files for that, I convert the TCX files to GPX using gpsbabel commandline:

gpsbabel -i gtrnctr -o gpx 2016-05-01-10-30.tcx 2016-05-01-10-30.gpx

Which I put in a script which converts all the fit files on the device and moves them to my home dir.

Or you could dl from Strava.

firestarter
    Free Member

Cheers all I’m off work now so time to have a play 😉

egb81
    Free Member

I have an Edge 500 and use Linux Mint. As above, I just use the file upload option on Strava. I plot routes on ridewithgps.com and that allows you to download the tcx file, which you can just stick in the relevant folder when the unit it plugged in. Not a problem so far.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Anyone manage to use a Garmin edge with Linux’ is closed to new replies.