Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Anyone living with foil covered windows?
  • bearnecessities

Another house thread from me, yawn. Sorry.

Many questions I’ve asked already on windows/lintels here, and much googling been done, but just out of interest, does anyone actually have them, with any experience to impart?

Not that I’m crapping myself at spending £8k on window & lintel work next week, not me, I’m cool as a cucumber about it all. Whatevz etc.

divenwob
    Free Member

I am sure it will be fine.

bearnecessities

^ That’s a phenomenal amount of editing 😀

loddrik
    Free Member

Foil on windows… 😕

scaredypants

a simple balaclava made of foil is far cheaper

JoeG
    Free Member

Foil is for hats! Its the stw way… 😉

bearnecessities

So nobody here has foil covered windows?

Well it appears there is a niche that you lot don’t have a claim to!

Useless bastards. 😀

divenwob
    Free Member

Tried to do a whole thread with no reply then went for reassuring. 🙂

mrsfry
    Free Member

Do you mean ‘Film’ ?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B002QEVFFC?keywords=film%20windows&qid=1448825977&ref_=sr_1_16&sr=8-16

If that is what you mean, then yes. If it is not what you mean than you are a blooming odd ball.

Kryton57

I hope you enjoy the view your 8k will get you…

JoeG
    Free Member

The windows are the last thing that he has left to do! 🙂

MrSmith
    Free Member

You mean the external colouring foil? I have just had some triple glazing fitted with a foil to match the other dark wood frames in my building but with white insides, they look fine from the street bit im second floor so they are not under close scrutiny, they do look better than I expected though. Windows are guaranteed for 10 years with an insurance policy and fensa are coming to look over the installation next week as part of their quality control so I guess they expect the finish to last.
    Windows are platinumNRG FWIW as I guess not all foil colours/finishes are the same.

timba
    Free Member

Cold war bomber pilots had foil curtains. I think that they would have been quite effective if used…

globalti
    Free Member

Not sure of the reason for this question but all window glass now has a thin foil covering as part of the energy saving effort. It’s desposited on by vacuum and makes the glass reflective to heat, improving the K factor, whatever that is.

bearnecessities

Yes, foil colouring – guaranteed for 10 years but just wondered if any first hand experience of durability/resistance to marking etc, but accept that it’s a futile question now. 🙂

huckleberryfatt
    Free Member

‘Foil covered windows’ … are you sure you haven’t turned over two pages in the DIY manual at once?

wwaswas

surely they’d put it on a surface that’s inside the double glazing unit so it can’t be scratched or marked?

wrightyson
    Free Member

What do you wanna know. We’re about to embark on building a new warehouse for one of the big boys in the market. Their foiling division is being located to the knew factory. What colour have you gone for bear?

bearnecessities

Cheers WS, gone for Deceuninck Cream wrapped (seem to remeber you being a big fan of the cream colour).

Was just looking for experience of how easily they mark/chip or any other things I hadn’t considered.

It’s a question I really regret asking though 🙂

wrightyson
    Free Member

Have you gone for cream on white or cream on cream?
    Benefits and pitfalls to both, cream on cream “hides” any marks scuffs as it’s basically the same ish colour underneath, however they look grubby inside if you paint your walls white.
    Vice versa for cream on white.
    As for the foiling it’s rolled on using a glue and uv light to cure. Very durable.
    However have a good check round immediately once they’re fitted and raise any marks with the company, damage is usually caused in transit or during fitting by cack handed fitters.

wrightyson
    Free Member

And it doesn’t chip as such it peels away almost like a gloss paint would on say a door frame. Biggest problem we have on site is usually windows being fitted before scaffold is stripped.

yunki
    Free Member

I thought this was gonna be a thread about surviving the winter

bearnecessities

Cream on white I think; just assumed it would be over white – I’ll ask. Reassuring on durability & I’ll check everywhere once fitted! Cheers 🙂

BlobOnAStick

Ours have been fine, except the usual caveat about small fuffin fingers and sunscreen (similar etching effect to suncream on a car bodywork). bloody neighbours kids grumble grumble.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Might find mobile signal is affected with this stuff.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Anyone living with foil covered windows?’ is closed to new replies.