Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Anyone live in/near Cleeve or Easton in Gordano (Bristol)
  • richc
    Free Member

As this place is generally a good source of info.

I am thinking of moving to somewhere a bit bigger a decent garden; and there currently some houses in Cleeve and Easton and Gordano that are in budget …. However I know very little about these places, other than driving through them.

Anyone on here, live in these places or near them? and care to comment on what these places are like? any decent pubs? Also what about riding on the doorstep.

Thanks for any help

flatfish
    Free Member

Ones next to a major motorway the other is under the flight path for Bristol airport.

We looked in areas close to the two you mention and we rejected both due to noise levels.

nickjb
    Free Member

EiG is right by the M5 Avon bridge so you will get motorway noise where ever you go. That said it is a pocket of cheap property surrounded by much more expensive areas. There is a cycle path right into town by the river, well away from traffic and it goes right past Leigh woods for the best in local riding. Short hop to the Mendips and easy access for South Wales and the South West. Easy to get on the Motorway or into town by road, too. If you can get a bit further up the hill into Ham Green than that is generally much nicer. Couple of decent pubs in the village and a good curry house.

richc
    Free Member

Very little seems to come up in Ham Green, but it does seem nicer.

Motorway noise seemed OK as the houses we are looking at are around church lane/rectory something. However I guess its worse in winter as the leaves will be gone from the trees.

Is the airport noise in Cleeve that bad?

What areas did you end up buying/looking in flatfish? As we just starting to look seriously.

flatfish
    Free Member

Go for a coffee during the day at Cadbury garden centre and listen to see if you want that noise flying over your garden every 10/15 minutes.
    See which way they fly and remember that outbound flights are noisier than inbound.

richc
    Free Member

Hmmmm, might try that.

We are looking in Wrington as well, but that didn’t seem as noisy for some reason.

andygreener

Some friends of my dad lived in Wrington years ago. I used to love going there, I don’t remember it being that noisy.

andy_hamgreen

well well – guess where I live – the only real points I’d add is that you are at the mercy of the road system there – any problems on the M5 and the whole road system snarls up – also I hear that those robbing barstewards on the CSB are planning to put the toll up to £1 each way – so if you’re Bristol bound you’ve either got to pay those robbers or go around the long way – either way you’re also looking at some traffic in the morning….

richc
    Free Member

If I moved to around EiG, I would be planning on cycling in, or at worse driving to Leigh Woods then cycling the last bit.

Have you been to the pubs around EiG Andy? if so what are they like?

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Easton in Gordano is fine, my parents lived there for a few years, motorway noise was not an issue.

Have you looked at Portishead?

boxfish
    Free Member

My mum lives in Cleeve. Despite being under the flight path for Bristol Airport, you soon get used to the sound of aircraft. It’s only a half an hour ride into central Bristol, too.

Cleeve doesn’t have a decent pub though…

richc
    Free Member

Yeah thought about Portishead, however I’ve heard that if you do drive into Bristol the motorway roundabout is a bastard of a bottleneck so you add a significant amount of time to your commute just to make it through it. Anyone on here who does the commute care to comment?

I need access to a train station as well, hence Cleeve works, and EiG is close enough to Bristol that it looks like a good comprise.

Ham Green would be nice, however stuff doesn’t seem to come up there too often.

richc
    Free Member

Cleeve doesn’t have a decent pub though…

That’s a major downside then 🙁

thehillsofsomerset
    Free Member

I am sure motorway noise would not be an issue. I live in Clevedon right by the M5 and don’t really notice it. Also don’t really notice the planes anymore either, there are no overnight flights either.

It is a nice area in general and the cycling is good on and off road.

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

Wrington is lovely. Bit more out of the way. V easy to get onto the mendips, some interesting traditional XC from your doorstep. Pubs I’ve been in are OK.

I’d much rather live in Portishead than EiG or Cleeve myself.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Yeah thought about Portishead, however I’ve heard that if you do drive into Bristol the motorway roundabout is a bastard of a bottleneck so you add a significant amount of time to your commute just to make it through it.

It’s not that bad, they have / are making significant improvements, the longest I have been kept waiting on the Portbury 100 is 15 mins, although I have only been living in Posit for 4 months.

EDIT:

I need access to a train station as well, hence Cleeve works, and EiG is close enough to Bristol that it looks like a good comprise.

Ah no train station in Portishead, although they are campaigning to re-open the old line, but that will never happen.

richc
    Free Member

Hmmm, thanks for the info. Might have a look in Portishead as well then

GaryLake
    Free Member

Yeah driving Portishead to Bristol isn’t really viable at rush hour unless you like sitting in your car a lot. (Edit, 15 mins is intolerable for me)

Bits of Pill are a little bit, well, I’m careful about being followed home when returning on bike, put it that way. I’ve never had any trouble but there’s certainly a few about who you wouldn’t ask to look after your bike…

Commuting via LW and AC is bloody ace though, especially with the new trails. Hammered down all day Sunday, trails were almost dry by the time I cycled home Monday afterwork.

thehillsofsomerset
    Free Member

they are currently improving the Portishead motorway junction which should ease congestion which as righty has been said is awful in the morning rush, there is only way really in and out of Portishead.

GaryLake
    Free Member

KT: was it you or ADH who had that slightly cheeky CX route (GPX) from Portishead to Bristol? Still interested!

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Well I lived in North Bristol before I moved to Posit now that is traffic hell.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Gary, twas ADH.

andy_hamgreen

if you lived in EIG you can cycle straight in to Bristol on the tow path and not have to mess with any traffic at all.
    there are several pubs in Pill & EIG – used to be a lot more – they seem okish but I must admit that as I used to live in Cotham that I tend to go into Bristol to the pubs I used to frequent.
    I think you’d have to be at the far end of EIG for motorway noise to be an issue.

richc
    Free Member

The bit of EiG I am looking at is about as far away from Pill EiG can get, so it might be OK.

15 minutes at the roundabout seems pretty bad when it would only be a 15 minute drive into Bristol from EiG, so it could double the commute time.

I guess I need to walk around a bit and have a look some more and see what I can get in the different areas.

Thanks for the advice everyone, its much appreciated.

andy_hamgreen

@GaryLake – what sort of bike have you got ? – I’ll have to keep a look out for you 😀

GaryLake
    Free Member

Errrrm, one of a few…

Don’t really want to give away my location in public but I’d be amazed if we hadn’t crossed paths at some point 🙂

richc
    Free Member

Just a bump, incase anyone else from Bristol is here this afternoon 😉

wallop

Whereabouts will you be working exactly? This could have a massive impact on cycle routes, driving routes, trains and parking!

wallop

BTW – central Bristol traffic is comparable with London, so if you think it’ll be 15 minutes from EiG, you might be in for a shock on some days.

richc
    Free Member

I work in Bath, my partner works in Temple Key; currently I ride in 3 days a week; train in one day, so my plan would be cycle to temple meads or Bath, so it shouldn’t be too bad.

The 15 minutes drive in is best case, so I would expect it to average out at 30 minutes, hence the additional 15 minutes for Portishead takes that upto 45 minutes, which is too long really, as I might as well look out on the Cotswolds if I am looking at that long a commute.

wallop

If you work in Bath, you couldn’t get much more in the opposite direction than Easton in Gordano!!! But yeah, it’s a good shout if you want to live outside of the city and have access to good mountain biking. If riding on the doorstep takes second place to location for work, have you considered Keynsham or Bitton? Keynsham has excellent train links to both Bath and Bristol (less than ten minutes in each direction).

nickjb
    Free Member

I agree. How about somewhere along the Bristol/Bath cycle path? Bath at one end, Temple Quay at the other.

richc
    Free Member

I thought about it but my Missus doesn’t want to live that way, so its been ruled out.

I won’t be in Bath forever, so access to Bristol and the Motorway is more important

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Anyone live in/near Cleeve or Easton in Gordano (Bristol)’ is closed to new replies.