Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Anyone Live in or Around Cannock?
  • Limy
    Free Member

Hi does anyone live in or around Cannock? Reason being is I am thinking of buying a house there with the missus (first house) and wondered what the area was like to live in? We are looking for somewhere between Wolverhampton and Lichfield as those are our places of work. Any recommendations or warnings would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

scu98rkr
    Free Member

lichfield, next !

MrsToast
    Free Member

Try Burntwood, home to Britain's smallest park.

scruff
    Free Member

There are good bits and bad bits like most places, Cannocks a proper Chavvy town though with some 'social issues' although the people are some of the friendliest anywhere.

I moved to Stafford from Bristol about 10 years ago but grew up near Cannock, on the whole Staffords a nicer place than Cannock, depends what your priorites are though.

postierich
    Free Member

Push the boat out and buy in Lichfield or try Burntwood a lot cheaper but its a case of look round and see no knowledge of Cannock but I hear it is a bit dire!!

phiiiiil

Cannock itself isn't somewhere I'd choose to live, but there are a lot of smaller towns and villages adjoining Cannock that are far nicer – Heath Hayes (where we live), bits of Hednesford and (probably my favourite area) Wimblebury would be where I'd look first. There are some nice bits to the north-west of Cannock as well, but it's very "bitty" up there in that there are very nice areas with massive houses right round the corner from horrible council estates (and it's further from the Chase).

We moved to Heath Hayes two years ago and we love it – the immediate area is nice, the bottom end of the Chase is within easy cycling distance, access to the A5, the M6 and beyond is easy and quick (wherever you end up make sure you don't have to go through the middle of Cannock to get anywhere else, it's not fun) and most people around are very friendly.

LHS
    Free Member

on the whole Staffords a nicer place than Cannock

Christ, Cannock must be a sh*te hole!

Jakester
    Free Member

Cannock = hole.

Burntwood (where I grew up) = marginally less of a hole.

Lichfield = small market town with nothing going on, less of a hole than the first two.

scruff
    Free Member

Cant get a decent pint or curry in Lichfield.

gixer.john
    Free Member

Hi Limy – i live in Huntington about a mile from the centre of Cannock. When i was looking to move to this area all the estate agents advised me not to move to Huntington as it was rough as arseholes, that was 10 years ago.
    I couldn't afford any of houses i had been looking at and decided to go ahead with the move to Huntington.
    The Cannock area (generalisation) is made up of quite a few areas like huntington, Hednesford, Heath Hayes, Chadsmoor, Rumer Hill etc. As a historical mining area it has a few rough estates and a few nice areas.
    I have had absolutley no problems in my 10 years here, although like any town there are estates to avoid buying in.
    Areas to buy will be budget dependant, if you are quite well off you could try Shoal Hill, if less well off there are plenty of houses around.
    The wee estate i live on is quiet, my house backs onto Shoal Common and i can see Cannock Chase when looking out of the front windows, town centre is a mile away with a mixture of pubs for most types. Chadsmoor about a mile away is good for curry houses, Stafford, Woverhampton, Birmingham etc are all easily accesable for decent shopping.

Lots of places have bad reputations, mostly founded on infighting amongst local eejits. There are some local issues such as drug use, occassinal burglaries, boy racers – but i have to say it is a lot less of an issue than areas i have lived in previously such as Linwood, Paisley, Hounslow, Hammersmith, Ramsgate, Sheffield, Woolwich, Daventry etc

Where are you moving from?

If you want to visit the area for a few hours i can show you around and give you a bit of info on the area.

I certainly don't regret moving here, my missus moved in about 18 months ago from Solihull and she rely likes the area.

If you want a chat give me a call on 07817307518.

Limy
    Free Member

Thanks for all the replies some great advice.

John, I will only be moving from Dudley so not to far but I work in Lichfield and the missus works in Featherstone so looking for somewhere in between. Obviously moving closer to the chase will be a bonus and make for some great XC night rides.

Hopefully will be posting again soon asking for mates to go riding with in that area.

MrsToast
    Free Member

Went to Panache a couple of years ago and that was great on the curry front, has it gone downhill?

scu98rkr
    Free Member

quite simply wrong

neverfastenuff
    Free Member

My god – Cannock only out of desparation! None of the local towns to cannock offer very much – especially night life, lichfield is dire at night, cannock is utter pants, personally i would live in penkridge, not a spectacular place but near to stafford – cannock with good links to wolvo and lichfield via rugeley

bassman
    Free Member

I would go for Burntywood,chase terrace area's.As stated by others Cannock the pits as for the roundabouts over the toll road.
    Look at the houses next to Swinfen hall usually one for sale there, more or less a private estate.

flip
    Free Member

I grew up in Boney Hay, Burntwoods posh bit, and have lived in Cannock and surounds most of my life.

Ignore all the 'Cannocks crap' remarks, its a normal small town no different to many others. Got the Chase on my doorstep, 2 hours to Wales and an hour to the peaks.

12 miles drive to Birmingham, 40 mins on train, then Euston in 1hr 40mins.

I've lived all over the world (see NZ thread) and have come back home because its good 😉

MrsToast
    Free Member

Boney Hay, Burntwoods posh bit

Blimey, are you serious? I lived in Boney Hay – burnt out cars in the communal gardens, the guy upstairs used to lock the stairwell because he was sick of druggies sleeping in it, and the police were regular visitors to the flat opposite. I remember someone spraypainted the word "Slag" across the opposite flat, and somebody got jailed for stabbing someone who gatecrashed their party. Mind you, that was on the perilous Boney Hay/Chase Terrace border! 😛

markfu
    Free Member

Cannock is quite nice compared to the bigger towns nearby; Wolves (My home town), Walsall, Brum, etc. If you're moving from Dudley you'll wonder what the fuss was all about on here.

gixer.john
    Free Member

I'm currently working on the Dudley council housing modernisation scheme – most areas of Cannock are better than Dudley.

Give me a call if you are coming over to have a shufty around.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Anyone Live in or Around Cannock?’ is closed to new replies.