Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Anyone live in / near Perth?
  • jimmy

Since moving to Scotland I always thought Perth could be a pretty sweet place to live for biking, climbing and general hill access. I'm now applying for a job based there and intend to commute from Edinburgh initially but considering making the move if things turn out alright. Just wondering where are decent places to live and how cheap / expensive it is? Aberfeldy seems idyllic but depends on the SO's job as she's in Edinburgh and its the wrong side to commute.

Any other decent places with doorstep trails?

EDIT: Sounds very presumptious that I'll get the job. It all depends on that bit, obviously.

geoffj

Jimmy, I stay in Bankfoot – about 9 miles north of Perth. I followed a job up here and commuted by car from Edinburgh for 6 months. It was pretty painless, as you are going against the traffic over the bridge, but it does still take an hour or so, depending on which side of the Burgh you live and how legal you like to drive.
    Aberfeldy is nice, but a good half hour from Perth and so would add to the commute into Edinburgh. It also strikes me as a very cold place – always seems a few degrees colder than Perth – not sure why.
    The villages just north of Perth are OK, with decent access onto the M90. Stanley, Luncarty etc. If you have kids then it would be a good choice, as would Bridge of Earn which is on the south side and so nearer to Edinburgh and has Pitmedden and Blairadam very close nearby.
    Central Perth would be a good option if you could afford it. There are some nice Georgian town houses by the North and South Inches.
    The other significant option is Dunkeld. Its very nice and prices reflect that, but there is good riding on your doorstep with only a 15 minute drive into Perth.
    Bankfoot is of course also very nice, but I tend to think of it as the poor man's Dunkeld 🙂
    Drop me a mail (addy in profile) if you want any more info.
    Geoff

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

The topic ‘Anyone live in / near Perth?’ is closed to new replies.