Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Anyone live in / near Ambleside?
  • nbt

THere's a discussion on my local cycle group mailing list about cycle lanes. The following message was sent

Mike has questioned the space availability for cycle lanes, following
    the, I'm afraid illogical, argument put out by Highways Department
    that if marking a full width cycle lane leaves insufficient room for a
    motorist to pass by without entering onto the cycle lane then this
    means the cycle lane has to be narrower or even disappear. Motorists
    can always drive onto Advisory Cycle Lanes – the Advisory label is
    aimed at the motorist, not the cyclist. A Mandatory cycle lane
    prohibits motorists from driving onto it, whereas an Advisory lane
    only requires them to do so with caution. Thus there is no logical or
    legal reason for a cycle lane to be less than the recommended 2 metres
    width. Whilst this may seem unlikely, only today I saw just such a
    situation in Ambleside – a 2 metre width cycle lane with less than 2
    metres of additional road space before reaching the centre line. I was
    driving and towing a caravan so there was no opportunity to stop to
    take a photograph, however I have put out a message and hope someone
    will provide one in the not too distant future.

Anyone got / able to take a picture of said cycle lane?

ta!

crazy-legs

Oh I know where it is, it's right by the YHA leading up to a sort of Y junction. Narrow road (basically 2 cars and nothing else) but with a cycle lane painted onto the road it forces motorists to think a little bit before attempting to pass.

I hate that bit of road between Ambleside and Windermere, I'll take the long way round over the hills to avoid it if possible.

Tracker1972
    Free Member

No, but seen it recently, caught me a bit by surprise to be honest but makes it clear that you should expect bikes. Looks odd but only because I have not seen one like it before I guess.

grumm
    Free Member

Don't live there but I've seen that bit of cycle path and I don't understand the point of it. It's just going to confuse people surely.

steveh

It's a very dangerous bit of path indeed. The cycle lane is about 0.5m wide I'd guess and the road is very narrow. One of the most dangerous cycle lanes I've seen anywhere. The problem seems to be that a lot of motorists think if you're in a cycle lane they don't need to move over.

Tracker1972
    Free Member

Whilst this may seem unlikely, only today I saw just such a
    situation in Ambleside – a 2 metre width cycle lane with less than 2
    metres of additional road space before reaching the centre line.

steveh- From the description I think it is referring to the bit where the cycle lane is massive in comparison to what is left, cycle lane is probably double the width of the non cycle lane bit.
    Are some narrower ones around there though.

steveh

Ah yes I'm thinking of the bit that crazy legs is talking about. Never seen a cycle lane 2m wide anywhere in ambleside though!

grumm
    Free Member

The bit I am thinking of is on the way out of Ambleside heading back towards Kendal etc.

nbt

Bump for the lunchtime crowd

ChatsworthMusters
    Free Member

That's also a 20mph speed limit zone is it not? Designed to protect cyclists and trippers on foot I think.

Tracker1972
    Free Member

Steveh- it is outside the YHA, but on the opposite side of the road, looked brand new when I saw it about 5 weeks ago. The one on the YHA side is a bit narrow I seem to remember, but was too busy staring at the massive looking one 🙂

elliptic
    Free Member

The cycle lanes on that stretch first appeared about ten years ago, but originally only about eighteen inches wide. They repainted them recently much wider and lifted the 20 limit that had been put on (back to 30).

As others have said it's a bottleneck on the main road – two buses going in opposite directions only have inches to spare – but the traffic's slowed down by the lights anyway. There was a good deal of derision locally when the lanes first appeared.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Anyone live in / near Ambleside?’ is closed to new replies.