• This topic has 32 replies, 28 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by mboy.
Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Anyone like the idea of a singles MTB group?
  • Deveron53
    Free Member

There's loads for walkers but I find walking boring!
    Would the group just be 90% blokes though? That's my worry!
    How about differential membership fees to sort out the imbalance?

IanMunro
    Free Member

You mean cheap for me, but pricey for the ugly dudes?

rob1984p
    Free Member

Sausagefest

hilldodger
    Free Member

Would the group just be 90% blokes though…

not just blokes, but blokes who get all hot'n'smutty over kids TV presenters and newsreaders 🙄
    I reckon it'd be 100% blokes 'cos no women would be daft enough to attend, so just man-up and pass the lube bro'
    😕

Houns

If you ban SFB you'd probably get some women turn up

Diane
    Free Member

I might 😀

Diane
    Free Member

Oh and 90% blokes sounds good.

dmiller
    Free Member

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Diane – Member

So you can kidnap them and keep them in the cupboard under your stairs?

cinnamon_girl

This idea has been mooted before. I believe the guys were worried that they would feel as though they were at a cattle market. 🙄

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

contact Aleigh so she knows what she's missing :o)

eviljoe
    Free Member

Diane – Member

They WOULD make you ride 1st up the hills though…. 🙄

oneoneoneone
    Free Member

why MTB specific?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

90% blokes? If your lucky!!!

Think about it, average club, is probably 95% blokes.

Of the 1 in 20 who are women, what proportion are shacked up with another MTB'er already? Of the remaining 1 in 100, how many are with a non MTB'er? Of the remaining 1 in 1000 how many would turn up?

Give up on finding a MTBing ladyfriend, best I've managed is my current missus, who actualy quite enjoys bringing cups of tea, passing spanners, and watching me work on the car in the evenings. When questioned, she commented that it was a bit more of a turn on watching me getting a bit grubby doing manual work in the garrage than, say, dateing an estate agent.

timc
    Free Member

also people like me who are not single will still turn up 🙄

gusamc
    Free Member

Try Spice (*activity club)

View it like microwave food, it's expensive but somebody else has done all the work. Good way to meet active people.
    *You might want to do an average age check.

"How about differential membership fees to sort out the imbalance?" – They fought for equal treatment and you still want to differentiate ?

meehaja
    Free Member

dating people with very similar interests can be a nightmare… I went out with a girl who kayaked. messy breakup and now every big kayaking event, there she is, can't escape her! Likewise I went out with a girl in un who liked all the same bands as me, hence she was at every gig I went to and every club night for 3 years, screaming and crying!

vriety is the spice of life etc

rOcKeTdOg

fitness singles.com have an ad on singletrack, and they have a UK section

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

(Mr MC posting)

Meehaja I am lucky enough to suffer from some of what you mention. I met MC at SITS where she was recruited as an emergency sub for a team mate who had dropped out. She's been riding as long as I have.

I'm also into motorbiking and the most I could manage when she got into it was to get her off the pillion and onto her own bike. As I'm a much more experienced, quicker rider I now get some me-time!

To the OP, MTBing is a male dominated sport so your idea is redundant, and if anything your'e more likely to meet someone (single and female) in a non-restricted general club, where a cycling girlfriend/wife/life partner might bring along a single friend.

grahamt1980

Met my OH on fitness singles, thankfully she isn't into mountain biking so it gives me my own things to do.
    However it is good that she is into the mountains and climbing so it means a good excuse to get away for the weekend whenever possible

Northwind

There used to be a motorbike singles group… Motorbikes probably have about the same gender split, but it seemed to work for a while (I joined, then legged it after I recognised some of the girls!). It only folded as it got bought out by one of the big companies, who instantly destroyed it. So if that can work, I'm sure a mtb one could work.

rolfharris
    Free Member

But women who ride bikes are mental, why would I want to meet more of them?

(our club's maybe 60/40 men/women, maybe even more even than that)

Houns

Fitness singles – View top male results – All of them list cycling/mountain biking as their interests…Says a lot about us!

rOcKeTdOg

looking at the guys first Houns…..explains a lot! 😉

xherbivorex
    Free Member

i like the idea of such a group.
    i'm sure i'd dislike the reality of it though.

fitness singles- went on one date through that site. it was pretty good actually, despite it not going any further than the one date… i sort of doubt i'll get any more though.

houns, if you're registered on there and have cycling/MTB as your chosen activities then those top rated things will always show people with the same activities first. male or female.
    having said that, i'm sure there will be more cyclists on there than most other sports!

sharki
    Free Member

I got stalked through fitness singles when i set up a profile on there, i never subscribed so couldn't reply to messages, foolishly i put my name as sharki and she tracked me over on bikerder.

Lots of nutters on there, not too many genuine ones, most of them are 'look at me and what i've got/done/do' to obsessed and in love with themselves.

stop looking but go out and just be genuine with others no matter where it is, down the park, on the hills, in the pub, super market, etc….take the pressure off yourself to find someone as you'll see everyone and not just the ONE you should see.

Another vote for Fitness Singles. It worked for me. 😉
    Try running. There's a far higher proportion of women in to running than mountain biking.

grahamt1980

I met some nice people on there, none who really clicked until the last one i met.
    Did have someone who traced me through UKClimbing which was a bit odd, just ignored and they went away

zaskar
    Free Member

This just sounds sad.

druidh
    Free Member

superstar_opponents – Member

(our club's maybe 60/40 men/women, maybe even more even than that)

Maybe? Is that because you've not decided which you are yet?

Deveron53
    Free Member

Hmmm, interesting responses!
    I'm on match.com now, finding a few outdoorsy girlies not too far away, already set up a date for tomorrow – fingers crossed! She's a match in just about all my activities and preferences (yes, I'm the caring, sharing, soppy holding hands type!)

KT1973
    Free Member

I tried that website and got matched with 3 women- 1st one was into xc mtb and kayaking and was 28 years old, 2nd one into road cycling and running and was 32 years old and the 3rd who was 33 and into triathlon and tennis, so naturally I chose the one with the biggest tits.

mboy
    Free Member

I'm on match.com now, finding a few outdoorsy girlies not too far away, already set up a date for tomorrow

LOL, wish you all the best mate!

Sadly, I've been there, done that and bought the T Shirt already… Let's just say that I met a few girls that were obviously single for a reason! Did meet one girl I actually really liked though, ended up going out with her for a couple of months, until she turned into a REAL bunny boiler though… Seems (as per usual) her ex BF had left her with some deep emotional scars she could not heal, yet would readily take out all her vengeance with him on anyone except him… Namely me! 🙄

Hope you have better luck than I did… Oh and one more word of warning, generally on Match.com if someone has said they are into cycling or walking or outdoor activities, what they mean is they have ridden a bike at some point in their lives, have walked more than half a mile once when it was 25 degrees outside and sunny, and they have been skiing in their youth. DO NOT assume that when it says cycling next to their interests they ride a bike anywhere near as often or as hard as most of the members of this forum do… Otherwise they'd most likely be on here too! 😉

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Anyone like the idea of a singles MTB group?’ is closed to new replies.