Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Anyone know owt about subaru Engines and ECU's…?
  • one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

Bit of a long shot however I am in awe of the amount of knowledge on this forum.

Right due to a certain ingress of water in to my engine – 2.0l EJ20 (legacy phase 1 1989 – 94?) it requires replacement. I have a option of a 2.2l EJ22 from an early 2000’s car. I believe this is a semi open deck block as opposed to the CDB however it will be NA and im not looking for stupid BHP.

Does anyone know if I will be able to use the original ECU from the EJ20 block (with a remap).

Also is the exhaust outlets / Manifold the same so I can use my existing exhaust with minimal modification.

Are there any other major differences that are going to cause me issues? Bare in mind the engine is no longer in a subaru so its just the engine without power steering pumps / AC pump etc.

Any help appreciated. Ta.

thejesmonddingo

I’ve got a Forester,but don’t have that much knowledge,however,it might be worth asking on the Scoobymods forum,they can probably put you onto someone who knows.
    Ian
    P.S What’s the engine in,a boat?

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

Close – ’73 VW Bay camper. The road going equivalent of a barge.

Have posted on thesubaruforum and scoobynet but desperate for an answer!

sobriety
    Free Member

Did the insurance co pay out then?

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

Yeah but not for full whack in the end – otherwise they were going to write it off and make me buy it back. It would have worked out about £500 more but then I would have a Cat D van and have to re-reg etc etc.

Mate has an EJ22 that was going to go in his bug which he’s said I can have for a couple of hundred. Looking at getting it bought, rebuilt, fitted and ECU remapped for about £1200 whci I dont think is too bad.

Hopefully around the 160-170 bhp range as well 😀

sobriety
    Free Member

Whoopwhoop!

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

That’s gonna be one helluva lively camper! 🙂

You got the brakes, gearbox and suspension to tame that? Having had a ’72 Bay I’d think it needs some, err, modification! 😯

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

Modified strengthened 2.0l bay gearbox designed for the original (replacement) EJ20 2.0l, told it should handle the extra 50bhp.

Brakes and suspension are stock, but im looking at porsche discs all round and dropping it a couple of inches.

Other than that its pretty stock. Going to be interesting as it would ton up on the 2.0l with a full camping interior and do 0-60 in 10/11secs.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Yeah baby! :mrgreen:

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

Its going to be pretty mental if I can get it in. Just need to work out if I can swap the new block straight in and on to the existing exhaust and Ecu / loom without too much messing about!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Anyone know owt about subaru Engines and ECU's…?’ is closed to new replies.