Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Anyone know owt about knees ?
  • jim76
    Free Member

Rode the South Downs Way Yesterday. About halfway in I started to get quite a bit of pain from my left knee – a little below the knee and slightly to the left (not right on the knee joint) It felt ok after a 30min lunchbreak and then gradually got worse again to the point where every pedal stroke was an effort, which was hellish on some of the longer climbs. Anyway, banged some painkillers and got on with it (maybe a bad idea in hindsight..) Have never had knee problems in the past. It’s pretty painfull Today – any experts or non experts with any helpful or non helpful input ? 🙂

Tom83

Go see a quack!

jim76
    Free Member

Appointment booked, just hoping for a few opinions. There must be plenty on here who’ve had similar.

whyterider19
    Free Member

What sort of milage did you do? Big increase over anything done before? Using SPD’s as opposed to flats? Any other gear changes in the recent past before doing this ride. Lots of variables here that could cause knee pain.

nedrapier

Tom83 – Member
    Go see a quack!

And ask for a referral to a physio. sports p. if possible*. Someone whos job it is to know about knees specifically

Only help I’ve ever had from a GP for soft tissue stuff is some or all of: “R.I.C.E., here’s some drugs, come back in a week if it’s not better”

*unless that’s what Tom83 meant. In which case you’ll be at a physio already, and asking for a referral to another one might be a bit counter productive.

Edit: Slow typist, plus distracted by beer

nedrapier

I had long term issue a right knee problem with painful bursitis on where the outer tendons strings of my hamstring join the top of my fibula just above my calf muscle (yes, that bobbly boney bit). Struggled with it on long rides for 10 years plus, but completely cured it when I swapped my layback seatpost for an inline one. I was amazed.

Still get ITBS from cycling too hard with stiff legs, though. Must stretch more.

rickmeister

Have a google for Andy Pruitt Medical Guide For Cyclists… loads of good knee info…

HTH

Tom83

I used to get dodgy knee’s from cycling, but since i switched to single speed they’ve been a lot better, i can only put it down to having to stand up to climb might be better for me personally.

But yeah, i went to the doc, and got physio treatment on the nhs, rather than £35 a session!

jim76
    Free Member

That’s the stuff I was hoping for! Ride was 100miles ish and longer than the usual ride though the pain started about halfway in. Have always ridden flats and my feet positioning tend to point slightly outwards. Have never clipped in, something I’ve been thinking about though.

Will definately push for a sports physio as I don’t want this to become a long term problem. Also expecting the usual “take these, keep an eye on it and come back if it worsens” from the GP.

Nedrapier that is very interesting as I have ridden an inline for years and the bike I was on had a layback..

aguesty1
    Free Member

aguesty1
    Free Member

Definitely ask for a ref feral to physic, the doctor will NOT do anything….I got a ref feral letter from my GP to Bupa consultant and he basically said I was making the whole thing up in the letter. Turns out I had a 2cm square patch of cartilage that had disintegrated. After an op and seeing the physic she advised me that if I had any further issues with my other knee I was best to see the physic first. Hope it gets better, had my op in december, biking is now great but I’m still walking funny, apparently it will not heal properly for 12 months….

funkrodent

Funnily enough I did the tour of the peaks sportive yesterday and about half way through got similar problem, pain on outside of left knee though seemed level with centre of kneecap. The ride was 68miles and most of it seemed to be going up. Pain started on a climb and got progessively worse through the rest of the ride, until I was pretty much riding with one leg. Saw sports masseuse afterwards (kindly provided by organisers) and she asked if I had done anything different. Notwithstanding the fact that I wasn’t fit enough, I had swapped out my saddle a few days before and she reckoned that the change in position was a major factor. She diagnosed a very tight tendon and recommended rest and stretching. I would agree with all of the above, but given that prevention is the best cure, I would suggest that if you’re going to do Long distances get yourself professionally fitted on the bike. Given the amount of money most of us spend on bikes/kit it may well be the best £100 you ever spent.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Anyone know owt about knees ?’ is closed to new replies.