Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • anyone know owt about electric pianos?
  • docrobster
    Free Member

specifically yamaha ones
    Been looking at one of theses for daughter for chrimbo.
    Looked in the shop at the weekend- prices start £6-700 for a decent one.
    On ebay near us is a yamaha ydp- 121 apparently 2 yrs old good condition etc. Current model ydp 141 is £576 on t’internet.
    Currently at £260 with an hour to go, am tempted. but wonder what its really worth etc.
    Anyone with any knowledge care to share it?
    Thanks

trailmonkey

what is most important ? a weighted keyboard with a real piano type action or is it the sound or maybe midi compatibility, built in amplification or maybe something else ?

lots of variables

incognito
    Free Member

we bought one of these for our 14 year old:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BLACK-New-Diginova-ConcertoVII-Digital-Piano-NO-RESERVE-/140488178253?pt=UK_MusicalInstr_Keyboard_RL&hash=item20b5bf7a4d

It’s not one of the big brands but it looks and sounds (to me anyway) like a proper piano. weighted keys too.

mountaincarrot
    Free Member

I bought a secondhand Yamaha last year for £60. PSR-275. My daughter (8) is learning very fluently, and any limitations are not yet evident. She also has a weekly lesson on the real thing. It’ll be some time before we need to trade up, it’s capabilities are still well beyond that of the players.

docrobster
    Free Member

Well its the missus that has started the ball rolling on this. Weighted keys yes, extra fancy stuff like beats to play along to is a bonus.
    Size is an issue. We aint got room for a grand piano

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

I used to play electric piano, professionally, but with little success.
    Most gigs were by word of mouth. But towards the end I started getting booked by loads of hen parties who looked confused then refused to pay when I introduced myself as the electric pianist.

swiss01
    Free Member

looks good to me, v similar to my old man’s clavinova but a couple of things less specc’d i think. it doesn’t have midi but that ain’t going to stop your daughter learning. it does have weighted keys and all its function beyond that are aimed at being piano like. good for a beginner (or someone like me!!)

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘anyone know owt about electric pianos?’ is closed to new replies.