• This topic has 24 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by cb.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Anyone know of a free virus checker for Macs?
  • cb

My email account (Yahoo) appears to have been hacked!!

Any good free options out there?

Thanks

peteimpreza

Do you access your Yahoo email from anywhere else?

jmason
    Free Member

Macs don’t get viruses. There is the odd Trojan about though.

If you want to do a scan take a look at clamav

mickyfinn
    Free Member

Macs don’t get viruses

What a load of Crap! The list of Apple devices we block after catching them on our student wireless network per week says otherwise.

Anyway Sophos for MAC is Free and very lightweight/un-intrusive
    Free MAC AV

cb

Thanks all

mainly access it from the Mac, sometimes the iphone.

I’ll try Sophos – cheers mickyfinn

zilog6128

Sophos is great for detecting Windows viruses if you share files with PC users. They are for all purposes inert on Macs though because, as has been noted, there are currently no viruses for OS X.

Most likely culprit for hacked email IMO would be a weak password or some kind of phishing scam.

mickyfinn
    Free Member

Oh look a sandpit… I’ll go and bury my head in it…. 😀

wwaswas

there are currently no viruses for OS X

[patronising mode]

of course not

[/patronising mode]

zilog6128

If you know different could you provide some links please? I’m not trying to one-up anyone here, just want to stay safe out there so it’s good to know what to look out for.

wwaswas
    chvck
    Free Member

Even ignoring specific viruses as such, macs are still vulnerable to malicious macros embedded in word docs and the like.

greggparker9
    Free Member

I use AVG free for mac, no problems so far.

zilog6128

google ‘OS X virus’

but for a starter;

Apple ‘Crisis’ Virus For Mac OS X Detected By Intego

lol, not only is this not a virus, it doesn’t even exist except as a marketing tool for an anti-virus company. “we’ve discovered this virus, which you can’t catch anywhere, but you’d better buy our software just in case”. nice try though!

Intego found samples of this malware on the VirusTotal website, a site used by security companies to share malware samples. This threat has not yet been found in the wild, and so far there is no indication that this Trojan has infected users so right now the threat is considered to be a low risk. Nonetheless, Intego VirusBarrier X6 detects and removes this malware using today’s definitions.

IMO the only essential security software for OSX is Little Snitch, which I would recommend to all Mac users

McHamish
    Free Member

The correct statement is “Macs don’t get viruses that have been written for Windows”.

Anyone who believes “Macs dont get viruses” has fallen for the delusions of Mac Fanboys.

wwaswas

I’ll leave the thread now I think.

zilog6128

no probs. please pop back if you find any verifiable evidence.

wwaswas

It’s not that, it’s not wanting 15 pages of me trying to change your belief. It’s like trying to convince a ChristianGod doesn’t exist – evidence isn’t what’s required 😉

crikey
    Free Member

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/apple/9355995/Apple-drops-virus-immunity-claim-for-Macs.html

I’m utterly un-arsed about the subject meself, but I do like a bit of a cavort..

mickyfinn
    Free Member

As above I’m also utterly un arsed in trying to convert the fanboy belief. Whether you wish to call Viri, Trojans, Malware, Scareware or what ever, the fact is Macs are vulnerable to attacks.

We see lots of calls into Honey pots on our wireless networks from OSX clients.
    Of course I’m not showing you those logs, but can we also remember this earlier this year http://www.securelist.com/en/analysis/204792228/Monthly_Malware_Statistics_April_2012
    So Oracle are at the top of the blame tree for this but the method of infection is irrelevant.

McHamish
    Free Member

Personally I don’t care what happens to your computer so I don’t need to worry about convincing you otherwise.

If you’re happy to leave your data unprotected that’s up to you.

Alini
    Free Member

Plus 1 for Sophos AV, it’s free and updated regularly………why wouldn’t you …?

Historically Mac OS was not targeted because it was seen as niche/ low volume tgt……..that view has already changed post iPad revolution..

Sandwich

So Oracle are at the top of the blame tree for this but the method of infection is irrelevant.

Wasn’t quite how I read it, Apple were responsible for the security hole by tardy patching of Java whereas Oracle patched all other OS. Bad, bad Apple.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Make sure you passwords are better too.

jmason
    Free Member

Eeek. My comment was meant to be a bit tongue in cheek….

cb

Anyway…ran the thing and nothing found. So I guess someone got into my Yahoo account? Changed the pw – will have to wait and see.

Thanks for the non-bickering suggestions!

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Anyone know of a free virus checker for Macs?’ is closed to new replies.