Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • anyone know much about Agas (oil costs)
  • lakesrider
    Free Member

I'm looking at a house that has an oil fired aga in the kitchen, which heats the hot water as well. I know nothing about agas apart from i've heard they cost a lot to run, is this true, and anyone got any rough figures for how much they cost? The bloke selling the house said they use about 4500-5000 litres of oil a year, and it was a pretty modern 4 bed house with good double glazing. (they had a seperate oil boiler for the heating).

Me and the missus are not big into cooking so if agas cost a lot to use then would probably take it out and have a normal electric cooker with a gas hob from those red cylinders

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

google it, phenomenally expensive to run. we looked into one when we were renovating our current house and immediatly dismissed the idea.

grannygrinder
    Free Member

55-60p per litre. I have oil fired central heating. Last year it was so expensive we just put an extra jumper on. It goes up and down.
    When we bought the house 6 years ago it was 14-17p per litre, thats a 300% rise in 6 years, happy i am not. But on the flip side the view from my front window it to die for 8)

corroded
    Free Member

Have you recently inherited a large sum of money from a great-aunt?
    My parents have an oil-fired aga and I don't dare ask them how much it costs to run in case they shake me down for change but it's a lot.
    An extra problem is that it's a faff to turn the the oil-fired agas off and on so during the summer you may swelter if you need it on for cooking. On the plus side, it's great to cook with (really) and it's very cosy in the winter. If the kitchen is not really a focal point for your family then it may not be worthwhile.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

47p/l for oil (Fridays Price) Our aga has been on all year and the boiler doing hot water – not had the heating on since April.

Just got through 1000 litres since mid Jan so around £100 a month. We did use more over winter but it was bloody cold in Cumbria this year.

There is a line they suggest you run it at but I have knocked ours back a bit keeps the top oven round 210c. Great to cook on makes fantastic break never forget to turn the oven on or hob off. Dries clothes in front of it warms you up after a ride.

Awesome bit of Kit

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘anyone know much about Agas (oil costs)’ is closed to new replies.