Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Anyone know anything about WWI and WWII medals?
  • andyl
    Free Member

While looking up some patents made with me as inventor last night I noticed a result on google about a medal with my grandfathers name on it (rare surname).

It was an auction site (not ebay) and it was an auction from earlier this year. I have tracked down my grandads medal (top left in photo) to a dealer and it was on their for sale list 2 months ago but now not on their current one. The WWI Christmas box and strip of 3 medals were my Great Grandfathers. The Chritmas box looks to have some paperwork, ribbons and a bullet which I suspect is a pencil.

If I can track them down I would like to buy them back for my Dad who is quite unhappy they are missing (I have got a little bit to the bottom of why they are not in the families possession). But I am wondering how much is reasonable if I can ever track them all down. The original auction had a guide of £70-100 so it’s very annoying that I missed it, especially as it now looks like it’s all been split up.

irc

The bottom 3 look to be The 1914 or 1914-15 Star, British War Medal and the Victory Medal which are campaign medals awarded to everyone who served in a particular theatre of war.

http://www.greatwar.co.uk/medals/ww1-campaign-medals.htm

http://www.firstworldwar.com/atoz/1914star.htm

Looking at Ebay that £70-£100 looks the right ballpark for price.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_trksid=p2053587.m570.l1311.R2.TR3.TRC0.A0.X1914+star&_nkw=1914+star+medal&_sacat=0&_from=R40

TuckerUK
    Free Member

It’s a cartridge, not a bullet (your poor grandad will be turning in his grave :wink:). The bullet is just the projectile part of the cartridge.

I have those same 3 bottom medals from a relative.

irc has got it. If the star says 1914 on the ribbon then 1914 Star (often incorrectly referred to as the Mons Star).

richpips
    Free Member

If you can track them down £150, well above market value and they don’t look to be in the best condition.

Still, get a third party to do the deal. I had a cousin who tracked down something similar with his and her surname. The asking price from the dealer was £1000.

😯

andyl
    Free Member

yeah I found the name of the three just after posting. Bullet/cartridge – I normally correct people for that, not thinking as dad was a bit annoyed about it all.

Grandads is an efficiency medal, the three medals seem to go for anything from £100 to £600, I’m guessing it’s a combination of condition and who they were awarded to/their regiment etc.

It’s annoying that they were all kept together (typical of Grandad) for decades and then one family member didn’t even know they had gone until I found them last night.

burt
    Free Member

There’s a pair of WW2 Medals in the box.
    Defence medal and 39/45 war medal

andyl
    Free Member

Cheers burt, I was wondering if there was some WW2 medals missing, looks like they are in the box then. Will download the medal records for them both and see what they were given.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Anyone know anything about WWI and WWII medals?’ is closed to new replies.