Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • anyone know anything about small hobby wood turning lathes?
  • gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

i need a belay pin for my boat, just a tenner to buy, but i’m rather tempted to get myself a small used lathe and make some myself.

can anyone give me any advice what to look for and what
    else is required tool wise?

i’m thinking something like the little 37″ Clarke, one sold recently on ebay for under 50quid.

redthunder
    Free Member

Also interested in this.

Shackleton

I could probably give you more advice than you would ever want but the main bit would be “get yourself to the local wood turning club” unless you have previous experience. Have a look here for a club.

Using a wood lathe requires a bit more of a knack and practice than a metal lathe, as does maintaining the tools. Plus you can probably get your pin turned up without having to splash out on a lathe and tools.

ski
    Free Member

I been turning for just over two years and still a newbie, so don’t have much to add, apart from the Clarke I bought second hand, has been fine for me. I did buy a decent chuck for it though.

I go to a local wood turning club once a month (waiting list to join!), the knowledge of some of our club members is staggering, well worth attending if you have one local.

😉

https://www.flickr.com/photos/scotiedog/sets/72157632074344580/

project
    Free Member

wood turning is addictive,so get a nice lathe, anything except a clarke, have a look for an Axminster power tools one, well built and strong or a record one.

Descent sharp turning chisels are a must as is a pair of safety glasees, and some training, dont wear a tie, or loose cuffs,always use sandpaper with out the tool rest and from underneath never on the top.

Ensure everything is free before switch on, dust extraction is nice,especialy with some hard woods and when turning cylinders easier to take corners off square stock with a plane first, less risk of a dig in and premature ejection of a piece of wood.

rkk01
    Free Member

My grandfather made his own…

H beam, washing machine motor, car fan belt…

Not sure where he got the chuck from – wouldn’t mind betting he made that as well. He was a capable bodger 😉 and a dab hand at wood turning

TheDTs
    Free Member

Where are you? I have my grandfathers in the container at work, you can have it if you want it. (Bristol)
    It probably needs some TLC.

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

cheers TheDTS, thats really kind. i’m right down in the far west of cornwall but possibly i can arrange to get it collected, i’d love to get your grandfathers old lathe up and working, i love using tools that have a history and having the chance to care for them. i’ll send you an email.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘anyone know anything about small hobby wood turning lathes?’ is closed to new replies.