Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Anyone know anything about Kona Stinky/DOPE/Rear hub fitting?
  • peabrain
    Free Member

I bought my 15 year old son a Kona Stinky Frame (2007/08 can’t remember) and we are having trouble finding a rear hub to fit.

Just bought a second hand wheelset that said it fits Konas with DOPE, but it leaves no room for the rotor…

Any words of wisdom

coatesy
    Free Member

Prior to buying it, my advice would have been “don’t”, but it’s a bit late for that.I’d suggest befriending somebody with a lathe, who’s prepared to machine the relevant spacers etc. needed to fit it all together, and then put up with the grief entailed every time you have to remove the wheel with it’s bodged system. I still cringe at the thought of a similar job being dumped on me a few years back, a complete nightmare as none of the original parts, including hubs, were available.

peabrain
    Free Member

Oh shit, not what I wanted to hear but thanks.

What about if we remove the dope system?

coatesy
    Free Member

Not sure how that’d work, memory’s a bit hazy, but I seem to remember the caliper mount rotating on the axle. Would you need an alternative chainstay with a caliper mount? If so, beware of the early ones with the small diameter stay, they were badly designed, and unable to cope with the (optional) disc brake loads, later ones were much deeper oval sectioned, without the propensity for cracking at the dropout junction.

hot_fiat

The ones that broke were the first gen stinkys. After 2002 they changed the chain stays. CRC had hoovered up all the spares & they still seem to have the OB stays available. There’s a lookup chart to work out which one you need. If it’s a ’07 bike it’s probably #14. They’re not cheap though. OB stays

peabrain
    Free Member

Thanks for the info.

I’m thinking it might be time to go to the LBS and ask for advice…

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Anyone know anything about Kona Stinky/DOPE/Rear hub fitting?’ is closed to new replies.