Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Anyone know anything about injuries?
  • phoenixfromtheflame
    Free Member

I currently have 3 broken ribs. Any idea how long they take to heal?

I also have, according to the physio, achilles and peroneal tendonitis. Any of you had this?

duntstick
    Free Member

That's all because you're a mountainbiker, ride really hard , lay off it a bit, ride really hard , break things, over stretch things repeat…………….

It's a familiar story, the ribs stop hurting after about 3 weeks.
    Enjoy….. 🙂

ton

mtfu………….. 8)

phoenixfromtheflame
    Free Member

Nah. They're running and boxing injuries. There is no mountain biking round here to speak of, unfortunately.

Ton, would it be better if I S'dTFU?

bomberman
    Free Member

i had bruised ribs and it took months 🙁

Burls72
    Free Member

Don't know anything about tendonitis but with the broken ribs take regular, deep, full breaths and hold them for as long as possible, it will hurt! I broke 3 when I was younger and now have bad lung capacity and remember reading somewhere that it could be the reason. Might be a load of rubbish but to me it makes sense as you take short breaths and the ribs close in because they are convex.

Ticklinjock

Had both, the ribs healed quickly – 6 weeks or so – painful to take deep breath initially (a week or 2) – but the body's internal system makes you do that every few minutes to keep the lungs clear of fluid.

My Achilles Tendonitis took many months – maybe 18, but I had setback after 9 months – carrying lumber up a steep hill for trailbuilding.

Northwind

Ribs can be really variable. I broke 2 last August and was back on the bike about 2 weeks later, though sore, and fully recovered in 4 weeks with just an occasional tinge. But then earlier this year I rebroke one of the same ones, and I was absolutely floored, managed to force myself back onto the bike at about 3 weeks and was fairly functional after 5 but it's nearly 2 months on now and it's still not 100%.

roundwheels
    Free Member

achilles tendonitis for me was a nightmair ,7 visits to the phyiso,3 months I wore a air sock, 2 steroid injections and then an opp/decompretion of the Achilles then another 2 month recovery , the key to any tendonitis is rest

nicolaisam
    Free Member

My ribs took 2 months.

I caught a cold after about 2 weeks and started to sneeze,That helps your ribs heal also adds even more pain.

hitman
    Free Member

achilles tendonitis – I had this and needed to rest from most things but biking was ok as long as I didn't dont flex my ankles when poedalling and wore shoes with stiff soles

trail_rat
    Free Member

went you the boy training to run a marathon in like 12 weeks and asking if it was too little time?

i think you answered your own question with that one didnt you ?

Drac

Wife has Achilles tendinitis at the minute, will she **** rest it though. Tendinitis takes months to heal follow the physio advice on this one it really will help.

Ribs about 6-8 weeks they painful little buggers but it'll be masked some what by the tendinitis.

identicalbutlighter
    Free Member

Look up eccentric exercises for achilles, about the only thing that there is decent evidence for, or ask your physio to explain, if your physio is unfamiliar with this, change physio. Check no pressure on achilles from heel tab on shoe(s). Resting rarely cures anything, "active rest" "relative rest" "rest from aggravating activity" I'll accept.

BigBikeBash
    Free Member

1 broken rib is a couple of weeks normally.
    A set of broken ribs 2-5 takes longer because they are not well supported.
    A set of ribs where they are broken in multiple places takes feking ages.

Trust me, I have run through all these scenarios and none are great fun.

phoenixfromtheflame
    Free Member

Anyone think osteotherapy or chiro would be quicker for recovery. I hate being injured.

identicalbutlighter
    Free Member

"Anyone think osteotherapy or chiro would be quicker for recovery. I hate being injured."

No, they'll lighten your wallet while nature does the job then take the credit. Particularly for the injuries you describe.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Anyone know anything about injuries?’ is closed to new replies.