Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • anyone know any fixes for a borked kindle?
  • sadexpunk

wifes kindle gave up the ghost on holiday last week. i googled and tried the ‘hold the ‘on’ switch for 20 seconds’ trick. also been into the back and unscrewed battery, left it out for a while, replaced, 20 second trick again, but still no good.

its a 3rd generation i believe, and the screen just went blank. if you look hard enough you can still see a very faint imprint of the page she was last reading, but basically its just a white screen.

if i plug into my laptop to charge it, the orange light comes on, then goes off after a while, but still no success.

it wasnt a very successful holiday for electronics, my kindle touch also had a whiteout (fixed now), my mp3 player packed in, and the camera also seized 😀

brownie points to anyone who can talk me through fixing this kindle first tho 😀

cheers

dknwhy

I’d just get in touch with Amazon and see what they can offer you. My screen went on my 2nd generation Kindle. I contacted them and within 24 hours had a replacement with a freepost label to return my old one.

molgrips
    Free Member

Call Amazon is my favourite fix.

SammyC
    Free Member

Leave it on to charge for 24 hours. Mine did that when the battery completely drained, just couldn’t get it back to life, but putting it on charge (even though it looked like it wasn’t) got it back going again.

After 24 hours came back to the boot screen. Phew!

sadexpunk

thanks chaps, ive taken your advice and rang em. they were surprisingly easy to get hold of and rang me back to offer either a refurbished touch at £58, or 10% off any new kindle.

wife actually prefers the old ‘press button’ type as she says my touch keeps switching on in her bag. they said they dont have any old ones anymore, so i cant see their offer being much use to us im afraid :-/

ive now got it on charge where ill leave it 24hrs and see if anything happens, other than that i reckon we’re probably best off looking at second hand jobbies around the £20-£30 mark.

thanks a lot

stumpy01

We had this on my Wife’s Kindle (the one with the keyboard).

Looking online it seemed fairly common and could have perhaps been caused by a dead battery.
    I bought a new battery from eBay, replaced it and it turned on momentarily and then went off again. I think it was a dry joint or some other electrical problem. Never got it working again, so just binned it and got her a new one.

project
    Free Member

Recent bbc consumer programe, stated electronic goods should be expected to last for 5 years,provide details of date purchased and common faults found on the product and argue your case

captmorgan
    Free Member

Buy spare parts here.

But what do you buy, battery, mid and main board and screen should do it 😉

http://www.powerbookmedic.com/Amazon-Kindle-3-Parts-for-Repair-p-1-c-694.html

GregMay
    Free Member

I’ve a screen gone on mine at the moment – thanks for the link to buy a new screen 🙂

RustySpanner

SammyC – Member

Leave it on to charge for 24 hours. Mine did that when the battery completely drained, just couldn’t get it back to life, but putting it on charge (even though it looked like it wasn’t) got it back going again.

One of ours did this – fixed after a 24 hour charge. 🙂

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘anyone know any fixes for a borked kindle?’ is closed to new replies.