Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Anyone know a good 'How to Write a CV' guide/website?
  • ourkidsam
    Free Member

Haven’t needed to do this in 6 years and I expect my just-out-of-uni style one won’t cut it.

peterfile
    Free Member

what field are you in? i reckon the “ideal” CV probably varies considerably depending on the job.

I had mine updated recently:

Name/Contact details etc

Brief summary paragraph

Education (just listed universities and degrees/post grad stuff)

Significant transactions (this is basically my work experience, I bullet pointed the key transactions/deals/projects I’ve been working on (client, value, deal, main role, notable legal issues etc)

Additional info (I stuck in stuff about pro bono work, my supervisory role re younger lawyers, long term courses I’m involved in)

Interests (very briefly described the fact that i’m active by listing a couple of things I do when i’m not being brutally shafted by a client)

Refereees

Mine is 2 pages in total. I have a slightly longer version (3 pages) which has a more detailed transactional history which I send if asked for something specific (i.e. a request from an energy client would make me tailor it towards their sector). But for general requests from rec cons and competitors, I just send the 2 page brief version. Leaves something to talk about when you meet them!

ourkidsam
    Free Member

Cheers. I’m a software engineer. I’ve been in a perm position for the last six years since graduating and I’ve been told today that I’m being let go. I’ve been thinking about contracting recently so it’s maybe not all that bad. I’m considering a move to Manchester or London (I’ve got a couple of hoodies… )

Still there’s a lot to think about but I’ve been asked to send a CV in already for another perm position near where I am now so going to do that first as they are already at second stage interview.

Thanks for your post, that’s useful

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘Anyone know a good 'How to Write a CV' guide/website?’ is closed to new replies.