Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • anyone just use their smartphone to navigate ? … if so whats a good case/mount
  • stumpy_m4
    Free Member

I have an old garmin 705 that works most of the time, but also have a smartphone that i use for back up which got me thinking about just using the phone to follow routes etc on something like map my ride ?
    Are their any decent cases/ mounts for popular phones ?

paladin

ive got a griffin survivor case for my iphone, its robust, but its a bulky case too, so its more awkward to pocket.
    i’d also never rely on it as my sole means of navigation, i always have paper maps for areas which im unfamiliar with.
    I have the OS app for mapping, its good, but if it throws a wobbler and i need to restart it, then i lose all the maps which ive downloaded for the route that im on…..

wingnuts

I’ve got a Quad lock and use it on the road bike. I’ve got an iPhone 6+ and its really stable even though it looks rather blatant on the bike. Not tried it off road but no reason to doubt it. Got the rain cover and it has stood up to some heavy downpours. Recommended.

woody74

Quad lock as well. Both on and off road and no issue.

rudedog
    Free Member

The topeak drybag case has worked pretty well for me and was only about 12 quid

steezysix
    Free Member

I have an old waterproof android phone that has been relegated to gps duty using OSMand+ app and a Quadlock stick-on mount. Really solid and quick to mount/dismount when leaving the bike. The OSMand+ app is cheap and well worth the money, as you can store maps offline so don’t have to rely on data coverage while riding. Get the hillshade/contours add on if you’re riding off road too.

twisty

I use the LIDL phone holder £6. It does rattle around a bit when ploughing through rock gardens but never had the phone come off.

mahalo

yeah quad lock with a stick on mount too. if im unfamiliar with the area i just have strava segment explorer up. always whip it off and put it in my pocket at the top of a descent tho.

dickster
    Free Member

Another one for the Topeak drybag. Used a few times in the pissing rain and has always kept phone dry. No issues with touchscreen either.

scud
    Free Member

Quad lock too, used it for a couple of off road events as back up to Garmin and been really good, handy as well that you can get Quad lock mount for car/ arm etc too, so you can take off bike and attach to windscreen

eskay

I ordered one of these from Amazon:
    Veho VSA-100-PG SAEM S6
    You need to order the mounting bracket as well it all came in under a tenner.
    I used my old s3 mini in it but it would take a slightly larger phone.
    I paid a tenner for backcountry navigator and downloaded the os maps. It was a god send on some recent riding around the peak District

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Has anyone come across a solid, waterproof bike mount for an Asus Nexus 7?

It works with that Bluetooth speed/cadence sensor that Lidl sold earlier this year, but currently I have to put the Nexus in the back pocket of my gillet, which often means the trip data gets lost due to accidental presses of buttons! 👿

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘anyone just use their smartphone to navigate ? … if so whats a good case/mount’ is closed to new replies.