Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Anyone invested in timber?
  • MikeT-23
    Free Member

Speaking to someone today about suggestions for mid- to long-term investment of a small windfall, and he put forth the idea of a small teak plantation in Brasil.

My first thoughts were guns, drugs, whores and possibly a new bike, with the remainder being frittered away on luxury consumables, but I’ve got all mature and sensible as I approach middle(r) age and decided that something more useful as a source of income to supplement my meagre pension plan may well be in order.

Just wondered if some of STW’s more financially astute members had any experience or knowledge of such opportunities, and could perhaps offer any points that I should consider?

Obviously I will conduct some other research, but it can’t hurt to tap into the collective wisdom here, can it?

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

could perhaps offer any points that I should consider?

That cutting down hardwood trees from land which was formerly tropical rainforest is becoming less and less morally/socially/politically acceptable ? Is the plantation certified by the Forest Stewardship Council? In the recent Brazilian presidential election, the Green Party candidate received the highest amount of votes of any Green candidate ever, anywhere in the world. So if your teak doesn’t come from a sustainable source, it could be a risky investment.

MikeT-23
    Free Member

Yes, that concern crossed my mind too, Ernie, and I hoped to find some acceptable answers in my research. I’m happy to let you know if this is the case regarding the organisation suggested to me.

tonyplym
    Free Member

Could always buy in the UK – Woodlands

epicyclo

Timber Investment has always been a popular playground for scam artists, so be careful.

MikeT-23
    Free Member

Tony, I wondered about that too, and thanks for the link, but the windfall is nowhere near the prices being quoted there.
    The guy I spoke to today talked of a £5k stake in a UK based trust, with a 12% return p.a. with a minimum three year term.
    TBH, the guy I spoke to is an FA, and having sorted out some other stuff for me (life cover and pension plan) and other acquaintances, I am willing to at least listen, especially if he’s in already – for much more than I could go!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Anyone invested in timber?’ is closed to new replies.