Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Anyone into custom ROM's / Firmwares for Android phones?
  • aphex_2k
    Free Member

After playing with version 2.2.1 for my Galaxy S, I put Darky’s 7.5 Rom on last night. It’s SO much faster. Anyone here partial to a bit of tweaking?

cynic-al
    Free Member

I wasn’t but…

I take it this voids warranty etc?

jools182
    Free Member

I’d have a go if I knew what I was doing
    My htc desire has developed an annoying habit of locking the browser when using Google

aphex_2k
    Free Member

It does void warranties but you can just flash the original firmware back on IF you get any issues. To be quite fair, it is risky but it’s fairly simple to rectify things.

Have a look on [xda developers] for your phone and there will be all sorts of custom roms, speed tweaks, lag fixes. There’s also an Ozzie forum called Whirlpool.net.au which has a really good community who know their stuff on Android and specific phones.

Jools – have you tried Dolphin Mini browser instead of the standard one installed? Great little program.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Cool. I mucked about with an N95 in this way, was v satisfying.

That said, my Desire seems to work OK…tho I use Opera (to try and reign in data) which ain’t the smoothest.

spooky_b329

You can’t always ‘just flash the original firmware back’.

I had a play with my old HTC S610, a load of forum users installed a particular rom and then realised that it disabled some features (think it was wifi and a couple of other bits) Flashing the original ROM back just bricked (disabled) the phone. It took ages for the ROM creators to find a workaround.

Do your research first and never install anything new until loads of other people have tried it first 🙂

colin@rush
    Free Member

Yep got a Desire HD and have tried quite a few roms, there are more and more all the time, they are so much better than stock, quicker smoother and the battery can last literally twice as long, also no ads in the free games etc, its gets pretty addictive though 🙂

XDA is by far the best source of info and the help the guys offer is amazing its like having a 24/7 free helpline…

And have you had a look how busy that forum is ? over 3,000,000 registered users and around 15-18,000 people online at anyone time, seriously busy….

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Spooky – can only speak for the Galaxy S, and it is pretty easy to return to stock firmware – either by download mode using a windows based flash tool, or by copying the files onto the device and doing it that way.

It is addictive and there’s always updates. As Colin says, you often get quicker GPS acquisition, more accurate tracking, improved handset speed etc. I’ll be sticking with the 7.5 rom I have on now as the 7.6 rom is relatively new for the SGS. I’m getting quadrant scores of 1500 and that’s without using the Voodoo lag fix. I’m quite geeked up at the moment.

damo2576
    Free Member

I’m using Oxygen on my Desire – Android 2.3. Works great.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Argh the danger with custom roms…. Updates. 7.6 came out after I installed 7.5…. now 7.7 is out.

Freakin loving it though. Getting Quadrant scores of 1200 and >48 hours battery. Voodoo lagfix gives me 1600 but way less battery.

mmmmmm

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Anyone into custom ROM's / Firmwares for Android phones?’ is closed to new replies.