Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Anyone here ridden Glen Trool?
  • simonralli2
    Free Member

I was thinking this would make a nice chilled day out. I think it is mainly double track, but that’s fine. Are the views good and is it worth it? For the record I have a month in Dumfries and I will not be short on time (i.e I won’t lose out rding any of the other Stanes etc if I ride it)

Cheers

Si

tinker-belle
    Free Member

It’s good fun, and worth doing the final section of berms a few times over (we did – and it’s easy to do a quick stint up the road to get back to the start of the berms) if you’re going to be up that way for that long it would be a shame not to do it.

If you’re one that gets eaten alive by midges, I would advise not sitting down by the river and having your post ride cake and tea 🙂

simonralli2
    Free Member

Well in July I am going to be eaten alive by mozzies and much worse in the rain forests when I camp out in the middle of nowhere so this would make good preparation 🙂

I never knew there were berms and all – just thought it was fireroads all the way.

cuckoo
    Free Member

I rode it a while ago and remember it as mainly fireroads.

It was fairly quiet when I rode it and the views around Loch Dee and Loch Trool were good.

Obviously I would recommend Kirroughtree if it was an either/or situation but if you have the time to do both i, personally, would say it was worth it.

simonralli2
    Free Member

Cheers

Just checked the on-line map and the route I am talking about is the big loop. Am just wondering if that green/blue singletrack loop is new?

I think it’s one for a sunny day mind 🙂

RichieBoy
    Free Member

Glentrool is fun. The end 2 sections are great but you have to ride about 30mins of boring stuff to get there. We managed it all in under an hour though. It was good after a day at Kirroughtree and a night on the beers to do something not too challenging.
    As far as i know the big loop is ALL fireroads…

RichieBoy
    Free Member

Sorry- it was the Blue route we did, not the ‘big country’ ride…

simonralli2
    Free Member

Yep – I guess a good recovery ride huh? The STW posse will be pleased to know I am not drinking in June due to a strict detox diet so no silly late night posts, just nice photos of Scotland and Wales 🙂

Smee
    Free Member

The scenery on the big loop is great. I would recommend starting early though.

kevonakona
    Free Member

Second the early start.

Smee on his birthday Glentrool axe head about 7am

radoggair
    Free Member

dont do it, dont even think of doing it, its pants. We done the big loop with the black section of kirroughtree that you can do half way round. All it was was 75kmish of fireroad(part from kirro stuff). would i rush to do it again, not on your nelly.Fireroad after fireroad after fireroad, it was long but boring.

simonralli2
    Free Member

Good point about the early start, but it’s about an hour from Dumfries and I like my breakfast so I don’t think that’s a goer.

I don’t mind fireroad if the views are good, but maybe Trekster will have told me some other routes to try out by then.

The only others not ridden are Innerleithen and Newscatleton, but I doubt I’ll drive over to Newcastleton for the sake of riding it.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Do Newcastleton with Kielder

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Anyone here ridden Glen Trool?’ is closed to new replies.