Viewing 16 posts - 81 through 96 (of 96 total)
  • Anyone here ever…dropped everything, sold up and started a new life?
  • smogmonster

Scotia, ygm – a bit of advice about the area if you dont mind too much.

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

good job tootall.

met some VSO people out in tajikistan last summer… 2 months was enough for me there, got a lot of respect for those out for 2 years, away from relationships etc.

once i finish my blummin degree, all being well i'll be hopping on a plane somewhere nice…

anyone know of any environmental jobs in NZ?! 😉

silverpigeon
    Free Member

Moved to the Channel Islands 18 months ago and so far so good. Money is better, life is a bit more laid back with the only real drawback being the lack of off road riding. I was offered the chance to move here completely out of the blue and took all of 2 days to make up my mind.

I wasn't really looking but met somebody after a month and last Friday got married!

Like I said, so far so good.

Edukator
    Free Member

If you feel empathy with and perhaps even admiration for the culture you move to things will go swingingly, and you'll soon feel very much at home IME. If you don't, you'll soon be back where you feel at home.

On a practical level, having/making enough cash to live well on is essential wherever you go.

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

Most people seem more dissatisfied with their jobs or relationship and they think by moving its going to improve? Maybe they need to sort those things out first. Lived in several places abroad for 15+ years. UK is still home to me I struggled and made it here thanks, I think its still a fine country.

shooterman

A great thread. I've been thinking of a major change in direction for the last year or more.

Like many above, I'm stuck in a rut. I'm in a job I hate working with the most awful person I've met in my life. I live somewhere I mopved to to keep the wife happy and feel very isolated here.

A good friend summed it up well last year – I've given my life away to other people.

This got me thinking about a move to another part of the UK – without the wife and kids and commuting every second weekend. I decided I just couldn't be away from my kids. Looking at retraining to get out of my career entirely at the age of 38 1/2.

My advice would be go for it.

tootallpaul

Cheers for all the good wishes guys… 😀

iDave
    Free Member

i'd love to be in tootall's position

to anyone tempted to do it, there will never be a right time. do it. the worst that could happen rarely happens.

i've traveled loads, to some great places and a few i'd have been happy to move to. i married a dreary woman who talked big about this sort of thing but always bottled out. now that i'm divorced i stay in the uk to be close to my kids, but it crushes my soul and i miss being a nomad.

DO IT, you're not here long, you're dead for ever

tootallpaul

Hey tribalchief, thanks. If you ever fancy a holiday, just shout.

P

LadyGresley
    Free Member

A couple of years ago, sold the house, paid off the debts, bought a motorhome, packed in the job, moved to Manchester to work as a cycle instructor, crap pay, but a great job. Lived in the motorhome for nearly 2 years, but moved into a rented flat just before Christmas, before the big freeze started.
    I'm much happier than I was, despite being broke all the time 🙂

Bustaspoke
    Free Member

I did this way back in 1988,packed in a decent job gave up my flat & went living on a kibbutz and did some backpacking around Egypt & Turkey for a year.When I gave my notice in my mates thought I was an idiot,but one of the older blokes there who used to be an engineer on a ship told me "it was the best thing I could ever do".
    Looking back on it 22 years later I can honestly say he was right,one of the best decisions I ever made,no regrets.
    If it's nagging you,you've just got to do it or else you'll always be wondering "what if"

alexathome
    Free Member

I moved to Auckland (NZ) in 2007 with wife and two kids. It's pretty tough for many reasons. It takes a while to settle but we live in a nice area, near the beach, you can surf on uncrowded waves, drive to the ski field in winter (3 hrs from Auckland thou)- trails network isn't quite as hot as the UK, but pretty good all the same and the crime is very low compared to where we used to live. It's pretty much laid back compared to many cities in the UK, but it's tough to get work here as they prefer you to have 'kiwi experience' which is a nonsense really.

Now 2 1/2 years on we both have secure jobs and a reasonable income, the local schools are some of the best in the OECD and we have a network of friends, there's worse places to be I suppose. It's not for everyone but if we turned around and went back to the UK tomorrow i'd not have any regrets.

A country is the place you live bit a home can be anywhere and it's what you make of it. Limit the stress in your life and everything else will hopefully fall into place, you may not have to leave the country to find that, just a change of job, city…… The distance from support/family if you emigrate may add a new stress of it's own, something to take into account.

I like it here in many ways, we may not stay here, we may go somewhere else eventually (I love France) but we're here for the kids and the opportunities that are more prevalent here (some will disagree on this I know) but we have more time for them here in an environment that I feel is more in line with my expectations for them.

Good luck!

shooterman

Limit the stress in your life

A lesson I have learned too late but the best advice anyone could give.

Pigface
    Free Member

i sold up everything and moved to NZ about 6/7 years ago, got let down badly by someone who I thought was a mate, came back after a year to my old job and hated it more than I did before. It was time to take a long hard look in the mirror, applied to go to Uni, got in and got a 2-1. Did the second year of my degree in Finland which was brilliant. Been at the E.A. for 2 years but packing it in in September to ride from Canada to Ushuaia, when that is done I am moving to Sweden to live with Mrs Pigface.

I will be 47 in July and it is never to late to start again. Go for it what is the worst thing that can happen.

qwerty
    Free Member

never looked back….

forwards, left or right… just down into a can… why is every can so god damned empty?

fennesz
    Free Member

slowmedown – where do you live? We're moving close the Beziers next month.

Viewing 16 posts - 81 through 96 (of 96 total)

The topic ‘Anyone here ever…dropped everything, sold up and started a new life?’ is closed to new replies.