Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Anyone heard of HTC software problems?
  • eckinspain
    Free Member

I want a Desire HD (though all the shops in Spain are out of stock at the moment). My wife was told in a phone shop the other day that they (a phone network) had returned all their HTC phones to the manufacturer due to long-running software problems that HTC haven’t fixed.

It’s the first I’d heard of this. Should I be put off buying an HTC or is there no substance to this?

kimbers

my wildfires going fine still

druidh
    Free Member

Sounds like complete bollocks to me.

DaRC_L

Sounds like a sales ruse, especially if they don’t have any HTC phones for sale….

jam-bo

hasnt android got a long standing issue with sending texts to the wrong people?

Cougar

That’s a very sweeping statement. Some handsets have issues, but that’s true of all manufacturers. Comparatively, HTC have been the least creatively-broken handsets I’ve come across. Maybe they were getting mixed up with Samsung.

Cougar

hasnt android got a long standing issue with sending texts to the wrong people?

First I’ve heard about it if so.

jam-bo
    Onzadog
    Free Member

They’re not perfect but I hear they’re they’re better than most and I’m happy with mine. Couple of times all my texts vanished and the wife has suffered the same and the issue of texts going to the wrong person.

Cougar

this one…

Now fixed, it seems.

http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=9392#c1460

Thanks to everyone for your patience while we’ve been investigating these reports. As it turns out, we believe there are two distinct situations being discussed on this issue chain. Fortunately, we have fixes for both of them.

When some users tap to open a message in the Messaging application, they’re seeing a different message appear instead. We don’t believe this issue is affecting many users, but we’ve developed a fix that we’re preparing to deploy. Of course, double-checking the displayed message before hitting “Send” will prevent any messages from being sent to the wrong recipients. We’ve found in testing this issue, it is more likely to occur if you tap on a message before the Messaging app is fully loaded, so we recommend waiting for all the elements to load before clicking on the message you want to display.

Separately, some users have reported that their SMS messages are being delivered to the wrong people. It took us some time to reproduce this issue, as it appears that it’s only occurring very rarely. Even so, we’ve now managed to both reproduce it and develop a fix that we will deploy.

While we don’t anticipate any persistent problems, we’ll continue to investigate in case we come up with additional ways to trigger these bugs. Thanks again for helping us improve Android.

Cougar

Couple of times all my texts vanished

This is, I believe, an issue with the standard Desire rather than the HD. It seems to occur when you have a huge amount of texts.

Mackem

Ive got an HTC (in Spain) – no problems.

collinstiffee
    Free Member

I have an HTC desire and I have to confess I don’t like it. The sound quality from the speaker is terrible. This is annoying for phone calls when using speakerphone as it’s nasty and tinny and vibrates. issues with text messages have been there, mainly I’v had it claim to have sent one to the wrong person but it has actually gone to the right person. battery life is a shocker, has to be charged every day. the actual functionality as a phone is fiddly. it drops calls, doesn’t hang up and the display blanks at inappropriate intervals when making a call. I also can’t add a song as an alarm sound. why can’t I do that? It seems obvious. Some liek to wake up to banging house, others to Sigur Ros gently wafting us to consciousness. Very few actually like some hideous jarring tone ice picking us in the forehead at teh begining of a brand new day.
    Add to that the rubbish GPS navigation that will try to take you up private roads and dirt tracks, crappy bluetooth interface and twitchy weather/clock display.
    Button placement for power and volume is poorly thought out and I’m surprised it hasn’t evolved to solve these issues.
    In short, it’s not my favourite even though I coveted the damn thing for months. I’m going back to Nokia.

xiphon
    Free Member

Love my hacked ‘droid. HTC Hero here…

Houns

HTC Hero owner of 18 months and it’s never put a foot wrong

xiphon
    Free Member

houns – what version of Android are you running?

Desire HD here

BEST

PHONE

EVER

OWNED

Absolutely no problems

legend
    Free Member

Collinstiffee, sounds like you were unlucky mate! In response:

– The speaker is fairly awful, but i rarely use it so it doesn’t concern me.
    – Needs charged everyday, but only IF i’ve had it connected all day with surfing, using apps, etc. If I only connect it when needed then 2-3days is easy. Basically comparible with iphones
    – Not had one issue with dropping calls, not hanging up or the screen doing anything weird in the 6 months I’ve had it
    – Alarm quirk is odd, looks like they almost forgot? Again, dont use the alarm so not an issue
    – The navigation is a free add-on, there are others available. The only (small) issues I’ve ever seen also happened on a Tomtom doing the same routes
    – Bluetooth, no problems there
    – Time/weather, been flawless
    – Power button, is admitted a bit stupid. Not the position, just the fact that you press it once to get to the unlock screen but you also just press the button once to turn the phone on. Usually you need a longer press to turn something on, so if you just want to check to make sure you turned it off – you end up turning it on again!

My last phone was a Nokia 5800, real dissapointment and just didn’t seem designed for touch screen – certainly wouldn’t go back until i see the fruits of the MS tie-in.

The Desire is the best phone I’ve seen by a mile – imo the iphone interface looks old in comparison

Houns

Running 2.1/1

collinstiffee
    Free Member

maybe I have been cursed. Last phone was a 5800 too, gave up on it as the vibration went feral.
    The desire bugs me, but it’s so damn purty..

TheFlyingOx

I had the alarm issue with my Xperia X10. If you plug it into the computer and look at the SD card, there’s a folder called \media

In there is \alarms, \notifications and \ringtones

You can stick any file in those folders and they’ll then show up when you want to choose your alarm tone, message alerts or ringtones.

collinstiffee
    Free Member

That’s cool advice my bovine friend. thank you.

Pook

Or you could just download a music alarm app. That’s what I did

mikewsmith
    Free Member

i just put some tunes in the alarm folder and it plays them.

great phones

imnotamused
    Free Member

LOVE my desire. Latest discovery are the apps that let me remote control media and spotify on my pc, meaning with laptop plugged into tv via hdmi cable I can use my phone as a remote for my films and music. My mate can also view the ip cctv cameras at his house on his desire screen from anywhere and gets emails and photos if they spot an intruder.

These apps aren’t specific to the desire but they’re cool.

Cougar

Do you need a premium Spotty account for that? If not, what’s the app?

imnotamused
    Free Member

No a normal free spotify account is fine.

Here’s a few for you to try;
    Spotify
    Unified remote
    Gmote

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Anyone heard of HTC software problems?’ is closed to new replies.