Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • anyone having problems with direct mount chainrings?
  • mikewsmith
    Free Member

[url=https://flic.kr/p/KYLbfH]That explains the crap chain retention[/url] by Mike Smith, on Flickr
    August 13th – 1 year old ish Race Face
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/NtphTi]New chainring design….[/url] by Mike Smith, on Flickr
    Today Absolute Black 🙁 in the middle of the pedally stage on an Enduro, no rock strike or anything just go on the pedals

jamj1974

Different problem. I recently replaced my original direct mount chainring for a new one* of a different size**. When I went to remove the chainring from my Cinch-type cranks – the nut wasn’t fully tight. This was despite checking the torque and using threadlock. I was a bit disappointed to be honest…

*Went from a Raceface to a Black Spire – as I have had excellent wear with these previously.

**32T down to 30T.

mickmcd
    Free Member

Yes but at a certain point you have excellent chainline

mikewsmith
    Free Member

And a pic of the chain line
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/Nm2s5M]IMG_20161023_145036[/url] by Mike Smith, on Flickr

kimbers

too much power, obvs

no experience of direct mount, but ive found raceface chainrings to wear quickly compared to cheaper alternatives- on one, blackspire

happybiker
    Free Member

I think those steel ones SRAM make were designed with you in mind.

bluearsedfly
    Free Member

As kimbers, I’ve no experience of direct mount chainrings but I have found RF chainrings to wear faster than other brands in particular their Turbine rings.

chiefgrooveguru

Do you tend to ride right foot forwards?

whitestone
    Free Member

Having done just 66Km on my direct mount chainring (Absolute Black) I’m a little worried 😯

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Mostly right foot but this popped when pedalling…

Rorschach
    Free Member

Although I’m not saying the two things are connected……but I bet the frequency of it happening would decrease with the use of a bash guard 😉

wzzzz
    Free Member

Never seen this before!

Wolftooth also do stainless direct mount.

Or get a spier and run a normal chainring.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

..but I bet the frequency of it happening would decrease with the use of a bash guard

No impacts and its a 32, striking a 32t on that bike would be a hell of a frame knock too.

Or get a spier and run a normal chainring

Have the spider but wondering if I’m just unlucky or it’s more common, sounds like it’s a rare thing or I need to try out for the Olympics on the track.

rickon
    Free Member

Both look like different failure modes.

The top one looks like it could be over torqued bolts, although I’m sure you’ll say they weren’t. A year on a narrow wide is bloody good going though, especially a Raceface one. I’d be very lucky to get 6 months. Even with changing chains every .5 wear.

The absolute black looks like it needs to be warranty inspected. That shouldn’t happen. I’d send it back, and I’m sure they’d be keen to understand what happened.

Turnerfan1
    Free Member

Just been through a summer of xc racing on my Absolute Black Direct mount ring.
    It’s been fantastic to be fair.
    About to order a Boost one for the new frame.
    😕
    Thanks,
    Max

mikewsmith
    Free Member

The top one looks like it could be over torqued bolts, although I’m sure you’ll say they weren’t.

Can’t really remember but they were done up abit 😉 Was happy enough with a year from the teeth, just a the failure mode got me thinking. Retailer wants this one back to send to Absolute Black (buck passing probably) but we shall see. Might try oval next…

bobbyspangles

Yup. I’ve had this on my d/Mount chainring on a set of hologram cranks. The chainring popped off after a light pedal strike. Right pain to sort in the middle of a peak district ride.

Northwind

I reckon my AB one has less metal in it than others I have, must save entire grams… It’s not exploded mind, and it’s taken a few taps. I’d want to measure up to be sure but I reckon Works and E13 rings are a bit sturdier

mikewsmith
    Free Member

and as a conclusion I had the following 2 emails

Thanks for the email, we have sent photos to the supplier regarding this chain ring and will be in contact with you shortly regarding the outcome.

It is strange for this chain ring to do this as it is made out of 7075 aluminium

Hi Mike,

Good news as we have had the chain ring land with us, we will now shoot this out via express post. You should see this early next week for yourself.

So cheers to AB for replacing it, seems like it’s not meant to do that and I’ll cancel my Olympic sprint plans 😉

wobbliscott
    Free Member

I’ve been running a Wolftooth Alloy one for a couple of years now with no issues. That Absolute Black one looks a bit skinny, my Wolftooth one looks far more robust and strong.

I’ve just removed my Wolftooth one for the first time since initial installation as I’m converting from 1×10 to 1×11 so gone to a different sized ring, and the splines look clean as a whistle, no signs of wear or anything.

kiwijohn

My AB is about to be retired after nearly 2 years. Had more than 1 wobble straightened with spanner.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘anyone having problems with direct mount chainrings?’ is closed to new replies.