Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Anyone have ability to trace a vehicle owner / keeper?
  • theotherjonv

Through legitimate means, obviously 😉

I work in a town centre office and we have reserved parking spaces in a car park, but the car park itself is not a ‘controlled’ one, ie: no wardens, etc. Someone’s parked in one of our spaces and the cars been there for 4 days now without moving (it’s badly parked as well, is how I know). As a result, one of our staff is having to park in a pay and display.

I can’t see it’s a police matter (yet – until the flies coming out of the boot get unbearable) as it’s on private land. So, any way of tracing it?

MSP

If its been there for 4 days report it to the police as it could be stolen.

Could also report it to the council as abandoned.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Know anyone with a 4×4 and a tow rope ?

wysiwyg
    Free Member

I bet the handbrakes not on that well, get 4 of you and push it

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

As above. Just move it.

Put a notice on the car for a day or two saying that it’s a private parking space and could they please move it, and if you get no joy just move it yourself.

theotherjonv

Not going to happen. For a start that would also be breaking the law, I can’t imagine being able to move it anywhere useful with the handbrake and steering lock on, it would block the access road if we could and if we could get it out of the access road it’d be onto a main road which would then cause 17 shades of chaos.

I’d far rather find out whose it is and go and knock on their door if local, and if it isn’t local then it gives me a bit of justification for ‘wasting’ police time by reporting it as potentially stolen / abandoned.

wwaswas

I suspect anyone from here telling you who owned it and where they lived would be breaking either the law or the terms of their employment or both.

If it’s on private land then the Police may establish if it’s stolen or not but will probably not be too bothered after that.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Phone the cops, look at it from the other side. If that was your car which had been stolen, you’d want someone to report it wouldn’t you? You wouldn’t consider that they were wasting police time?.

bentandbroken

I got a call from the police asking me to move my car from a Private car park. It was the first I knew of it being stolen 🙁

footflaps

Set fire to it and see who comes out screaming ‘That’s my car!’?

globalti
    Free Member

Just ring the Police non-emergency number and ask about the car, they won’t mind. They are paid to sort out things like that.

LHS
    Free Member

Say you saw 4 suspicious men in hoodies wearing backpacks get out of the car and leave it there. Should get moved/blown up pretty quickley.

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

If it’s not stolen, the police will say it is a civil matter and will not be interested.

Is it taxed? In good condition? Report it to the council as an abandoned car?

Someone left an old car in our car park at work once. It wasn’t taxed (probably why they left it on private ground), so we ‘moved’ it for them onto the road after a week or so and countless notices stuck to the windscreen. It vanished pretty quickly after that.

If you don’t want to move it, then get used to seeing it in your parking spot.

nealglover
    Free Member

Anyone have ability to trace a vehicle owner / keeper?

Yes.

Everyone does.

https://www.gov.uk/request-information-from-dvla

Personally I would call the police non emergency number though.
    They would have it sorted far quicker.

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

LHS – Member

Say you saw 4 suspicious men in hoodies wearing backpacks get out of the car and leave it there. Should get moved/blown up pretty quickley.

Will also mean lying to the police, as they will no doubt take a statement. Not cool.

footflaps

You need to add that they had Beards, looked like Arabs and were reciting ‘Allahu Akbar’ as they got out of the car…..

ThurmanMerman
    Free Member

Used to park in a *small residents’ car park near where I used to live. A mystery car parked badly landed there one day which remained in place for a good few days hogging two spaces. Me and a few of the more burly residents picked it up and carried it to just outside the car park and left a polite note under the wiper. It vanished the next day.

🙂

[Edit – *A small car park for residents, that is, not a car park for small residents]

ThurmanMerman
    Free Member

Report it to the council as an abandoned car?

^This, especially if it’s not taxed.

A busy-body curtain-twitching stay-at-home-with-nothing-to-do neighbour took it upon herself to report all mystery cars to the council. Ones with no tax get a a notice slapped on their windscreen and are threatened with removal. Usually seems to do the trick

DezB
    Free Member

Don’t the police deal with issues on ‘private land’? ❓

Nobby

Don’t the police deal with issues on ‘private land’?

They often do these days as the RTA redefined ‘public highway’ a few years ago with the new definition including places like car parks, petrol stations etc.

OP – as has been said, ringthe non-emergency number & they should assist or, worst case, point you in the right direction.

nealglover
    Free Member

or, worst case, point you in the right direction.

Which would be the DVLA link posted above 😉

bikebouy
    Free Member

I have a neighbour down the road whose car hasn’t been taxed this year and she drives it around and parks it in our cul de sac, I’ve reported it twice to the DVLA, still she drives it around without a care in the world..
    Nice.

TheFunkyMonkey
    Free Member

She might have lost the disc, like I did this year. 😳

nealglover
    Free Member

It’s a good possibility that they checked the tax status when it was reported and found out it is taxed. But she’s not aware that the current disk is not the one at the front of the pile.

Like mine wasn’t for six months 🙁

ninfan
    Free Member

Most hire shops have a set of tyre skates for a reasonable price

Pop them under (some need a trolley jack, some raise the tyre themselves) push the car out of the way, easy

For added deterrence, then push the car to suitable location and remove skates

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Anyone have ability to trace a vehicle owner / keeper?’ is closed to new replies.