Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Anyone have a Hope Vision R4 light?
  • Buttscratcher
    Free Member

Hello,

Has anyone got one of the new Hope Vision R4 lights? Looking at the results of the WMB test they didn’t seem to like it that much….

Any info?

Cheers

Butty

domino

+ Bright, well made, if it goes wrong Hope are good, battery seems to be lasting well.

– No visual indicator when its running low. The battery rattles a bit on the stem.

I use mine with an Exposure Joystick but have used it fine on its own, the joystick is useful on tight singletrack and opening and closing gates.

Buttscratcher
    Free Member

Cheers Domino, have you used any of the Exposure offerings? particularly interested in how it compares to the Maxx-d or new (mk2/3) Toro

Butty

reggiegasket
    Free Member

what did well in the WMB test by the way?

domino

Yep, the Exposure joystick is great. Mrdomino got a Maxx-D last week and we rode at Gisburn, it is brighter than the Hope but I find the it perfectly adequate. Mrdomino does like the Maxx-D a lot though, he likes the low battery indicator and the fact the battery and light are all one unit. Minus point is 17 hours to charge from empty.

honourablegeorge

Best on test (4.5/5 stars)

Ay Up Ultra Lite, £134
    Lumicycle LED3 XPG ATL Elite 26, £250
    Ay Up V4 Adventure set, £272

4 stars

Magicshine MJ-816, £95
    Electron Terra 2, £100
    Magicshine MJ872, £120
    Exposure Diablo, £200
    Lupine Piko, £275
    Troute Liberator Mk2, £295
    Exposure MaXx-D, £325
    Lumicycle Twin XPG 3 Pro 52, £450

3.5 stars

One23 Extreme Bright 3, £115
    Niterider MiNewt Mini Cordless 600, £135
    Exposure Joystick, £165
    Exposure Toro, £275

3 stars

Lezyne Superdrive, £100
    L&M Stella 300, £225
    Moon X-Power 1000, £225
    Hope R4 Epic, £295
    Niterider Pro 1500 Race, £325
    Full Beam Night Nemesis, £590
    Niterider Pro 3000 LED, £700

2.5 stars

Topeak Whitelight HP 10W Mega, £300
    Lupine Piko TL Max, £350

2 stars

Cateye Sumo 2, £300
    L&M Seca 700, £350
    Lupine Betty 12, £850

wbss
    Free Member

i’ve just bought one. try it out later.

Buttscratcher
    Free Member

On paper the Hope R4 should be brighter than the Maxx-d – looks like the lumens stated as ‘generated’ aren’t the same as the lumens stated by Exposure.

i.e. The R4 is supposed to generate 1446 lumens, whereas the new Maxx-d outputs 1200 lumens. But, if you use the ‘measured’ lumens of 1000 from the R4, then that would ring true.

Buttscratcher
    Free Member

wbss – I’d be interested to hear your thoughts 🙂

zilog6128

the new Maxx-D is quoted at 1285. Don’t know if that is ‘measured’ or not but it is very bright!

Buttscratcher
    Free Member

It’s interesting that Hope have the two different measures of Lumens, whereas everyone else seems to use just one… The important number to consumers is the one that is comparable to other manufacturers.

Cheeky-Monkey
    Free Member

Look for their pdf light brochure (available through their site), it explains their approach.

To paraphrase – most figures are BS because they’re theoretical, we measure the actual, which is more honest, but we’ll tell you the “theoretical” figure that most others use as well to avoid knowingly underselling ourselves.

Not Hope’s fault Magicshine et al seem to go for the immediately more impressive theoretical figures on theior kit. People being as they are that’s the figure they’ll probably get compared with.

IIRC a number of other folks who seem to know more about lights (Smudge, Trout et al) than me seem to think actual is a better reflection of a light than theoretical. Statment of the bloody obvious there 😎

Don’t think Hope can really be criticised for quoting both. To be honest hats off to them for a bit of transparency.

trout
    Free Member

Seeing as we have that nice person Chriswilks on here that has the facility to measure the lights we can get an unbiased reading on out the front lumens for our lights so the likes of Luminous / myself as far as I know do use Chris`s services

so say the Liberator it has a theoretical lumen count of 2760 lumens
    chris has measured it at 1700 lumens .

the good old Bastid quoted 900 lumens actual 550
    those Lux figures in the reviews mean nothing really as a high lux at the centre of the beam could be crap on the edges .

Whyte1
    Free Member

plus if you use the R4 as a head torch the battery indicator is irrelevant anyway

Buttscratcher
    Free Member

Thanks for the comments everyone, I think from Domino’s comments she has the older Vision 4, not the R4.

Given that it’s only been out a couple of weeks the comment about the battery lasting well seems to be out of place. This could explain why the Maxx-d her mister has is brighter – which it will be if she has the vision 4.

Thanks for the explanation too, does anyone know what figure Exposure use for their lights? measured or generated? Given both the R4 and the Maxx-d use the same Cree R5s I’d assume they would be pushing out a very similar amount of lumens.

domino

Yes, sorry about that – I hadn’t realised there was a newer version, looks good and I like the new mounting bracket thing on it. By lasting well I meant holds its charge.

Buttscratcher
    Free Member

Good good, well… I’ve got my R4 now – so I’ll post up a review and some photos of beam shots.

I’ll compare to a Mk2 Maxx-d too.

I do like Hope kit, and as said before the customer service is tremendous – the fact you speak to an engineer when you call through is tip top.

peteimpreza

Buttscratcher
    Free Member

Butt Scratcher?

LoCo
    Free Member

Heh Heh 😆

wbss
    Free Member

I’d say its good. Tiny compared to a vision 4.
    Loads of light. New clamp thing is good.
    No idea about battery life as I’ve not yet done an all night ride with it yet..

Buttscratcher
    Free Member

Yep – just picked mine up and seen it’s proper small! the head strap is a good idea too, would make a great headtorch for night running with an endurance battery.

dyls

Any photos, night shots or battery life review?

Buttscratcher
    Free Member

Right then… been out for 2 hours with the light.

First off… it’s bloody awesome. Incredibly bright. Compared next to a Maxx-d on full (970 lumens one), with the Hope on the second brightest setting, it looks like two or three Maxx-ds strapped together.

The beam is very wide, the throw is very long, and there is no hot spot at all.

I haven’t seen the WMTB review, but I’m guessing their issue and why they gave it 3/5 was because of a few things – which all dont bother me.

1) If you put the light on full (1446 lumens) it lasts about a minute before switching to low. But you can put it back on the second brightest setting and it’ll stay there the whole time.

I put this down to that the highest setting is for occasional use, and the unit gets very hot while on this setting. The setting down looks just as bright as the highest too.

2) The mount isn’t adjustable side to side, which may be an issue if you have a very odd sweep on your bars.

3) There is no battery indicator, but as I’m colourblind I dont get any use out of the one on my Exposure lights

4) There’s a separate battery, but the epic version – that gives 4 hours on the second highest setting – is pretty small, and fits easily on a 80mm stem.

5) There’s no fancy soft case 🙁 that would have been really nice.

All in all, its an amazing little light, it’s so much smaller than it ;looks in photos – about the size of the diablo, but about 3cm in depth – think a £2 coin, but 4 of them stacked together.

Anyone who’s thinking of buying one – I wouldn’t hesitate based on the initial ride with it, light is much better than the mk2 Maxx-d I’ve got, and being able to carry an extra battery for me is a bonus.

Beam shots here, these reflect my experience:

http://www.bikeradar.com/gallery/article/tested-30-mountain-bike-lights-28195

Buttscratcher
    Free Member

Ah – and the battery takes only 3 hours to charge from empty 🙂

keswiki
    Free Member

Does it realy only last a min on full burn & does it come with a helmet mount included in price ?

Buttscratcher
    Free Member

It comes with:

– A bar mount
    – A helmet mount
    – A Head strap (so you can use it as a normal head torch)

Well, it didn’t last very long on full – but take that with a pinch of salt, as to be honest it’s very hard to see any difference between the full setting and the second highest setting. I believe Hope also recommend that the highest setting is only for short bursts anyway, to be used as a boost for when descending very technical ground.

I used the light on the second highest setting all night without any issues at all – and that is about twice as bright as the Maxx-d we had out last night.

Also worth noting is that it was very warm last night, probably warmer than any night this year – and considering most of my night rides are a bit chilly, I’d have thought this would stop the light overheating on full.

Does anyone know what WMTB scored the light down on?

keswiki
    Free Member

Cheers Buttscratcher, would also like to know why the crap review score !

wurzelcube
    Free Member

I’ve gone for the Maxx D MK4, buddy I ride with has the hope R4, my thoughts below:

– Side by side the Maxx D has a wider brighter beam than the R4, fuel gauge is nice as is the all in one design. Very long charge time could be a problem however 3 hour burn time on max may compensate for this.
    – the hope unit is tiny and can be head mounted, numerous brightness settings are overkill, no side to side angle adjustment will cause issue for oncoming traffic. Bang for buck probably better value for money

Both are great lights, I paid £260 for my Maxx D Mk4 and would buy again over the R4, although I’m sure my mate would buy the R4 over the Maxx D

Buttscratcher
    Free Member

Are you sure the beam was wider and brighter on the maxxd? It shouldn’t be… check out the beam shots here

http://www.bikeradar.com/gallery/article/tested-30-mountain-bike-lights-28195

Not saying you’re wrong, but his r4 really should have a considerably wider and brighter beam.

Does he have the brand new 2011 vision r4 OR the older Vision 4?

wurzelcube
    Free Member

Yes – absolutely sure the Maxx D seemed brighter and wider, clearly our test wasn’t scientific with measuring equipment etc instead it just involved a country lane and some telegraph poles in the dark.

I don’t doubt the quality of the photos and level of care taken to ensure fairness / accuracy but there is no subsititute for seeing the actual performance with your own eyes ( I know that is stating the obvious)

It is the R4, personally I think both are great lights however as I previously said the lack of left / right adjustment on the bars would deter me from recommending the R4 as I tend to point my light slightly into the verge to avoid blinding on coming traffic (even on the lowest beam setting it dazzles drivers)

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Anyone have a Hope Vision R4 light?’ is closed to new replies.