Viewing 6 posts - 41 through 46 (of 46 total)
  • Anyone have a fear or phobia of breaking carbon bars ?
  • jamesb
    Free Member

quote “Because I OVERTIGHTENED the front brake lever not silly over tight but the bar snapped when I pulled away I had the grip and lever in my left hand”

which is why torque settings are provided and why I bought a torque spanner and Ritchey preset torque key 🙂

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Carbon seatposts worry me more. I had one on a Stumpy a few years ago and was always concerned when it flexed

Nip into a fishing tackle shop and see how much/far a carbon fishing rod bends. If it’s constructed correctly flex is no problem at all for carbon! 🙂

chiefgrooveguru

No I worry more about aluminium alloy parts suffering fatigue failures, especially when scratches from crashes cause stress concentrations.

tazzymtb

no worries at all, i’ve killed 3 pairs (easton cnt, controltech and salsa) I love the things they’re just not Taz compatable.

Macavity
    Free Member

Nothing to worry about; but not all CFRP is the same:

“Brittle behaviour is an unavoidable feature of the CFRP. It is necessary that the polymer matrix be glassy; otherwise, the flexing of the tubing during use would dissipate energy. That is, the bicycle would have a “spongy” feel to a rider. Because the polymer matrix is not viscoelastic, it cannot act as a microcrack arrestor when the fibres start to break. The result is that the CFRP used for bicycle tubing is inherently brittle (as opposed to fishing rods or vaulting poles, which are intended to be flexible). Because of this behaviour, it can be risky to make a component like the front fork of a bicycle out of CFRP. Front forks can receive large, sudden loads, and a brittle failure here would obviously threaten rider safety.”
    Introduction to Engineering Materials: The Bicycle and the Walkman.
    C.J.McMahon and C.D.Graham

Carbon-fibre is the fancy-string that is reinforcing the various types of plastic that is called CFRP. CFRP is not isotropic.

Northwind

crotchrocket – Member

“I guess I’d use one if I was racing and longevity wasn’t an issue because the team would just give me a new frame.”

I gather none of the team Santa Cruz carbon V10s suffered any failures so far… Likewise the carbon rims they used, they finished the season with the first sets still in use. I’ve no idea what the fail rate on an alu V10 is, probably about the same

Viewing 6 posts - 41 through 46 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘Anyone have a fear or phobia of breaking carbon bars ?’ is closed to new replies.