Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Anyone have a bottom bracket die quicker than this?
  • jmckee
    Free Member

The BB91 bracket on my new cube AMS has withstood 4 months of use before giving up the ghost. Anyone able to beat that!
    It’s not a surprise when you remove it and find what it’s made of. A replacement is not good value but I’d pay double just to have a quality bottom bracket that lasts. Doesn’t seem impossible when you consider what bearings in other applications can withstand.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

A mate fitted an isis one day, rolled out round the car park to check it was all aligned, crunch noises and balls fell out. So yes 10 mins

glupton1976
    Free Member

I had a cranks bros one last two laps of inners.

Ambrose

I have a UN52 that has lasted- ooh- about 15, maybe 16 years. Square taper just works. That is all.

Neil-F
    Free Member

Whatever you do, don’t replace it with a Superstar one. 😉

baznav73
    Free Member

just be glad you’r not running gxp mine lasted 5 weeks in dry weather.

stu1972
    Free Member

Jesus, these pressfit BB’s are gash aren’t they?

Got three months out of mine. A friend with an Anthem got 4 months.
    Another Anthem owner I know got 1 month out of his.

Rich pickings for an aftermarket alternative with proper sealing eh?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

just be glad you’r not running gxp mine lasted 5 weeks in dry weather.

Hope GPX adaptor

jmckee
    Free Member

@ambrose I’ve got an old Claude butler road bike that does all the winter miles and I don’t even know what bottom bracket is in it. I don’t need to because someone has engineered it to do its job. When I was muttering about ths to a mate in the pub ths week he reckoned his colnago bottom bracket from ‘not yesterday’ must have 30k miles on it.
    Needed to replace this one quickly but next time I’m looking for what alternatives there are to the standard plastic shimano stuff

Moe

Dusk 2 Dawn 2011! 😆

ratherbeintobago

I had a set of BB30 bearings last three rides, or about 35 miles, before one of them seized.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Square taper is your answer. Ok, they are heavier but who cares when they last years and cost buttons.

Went the sq taper and Middleburn chainset years back after getting hacked off with Shimano and Truvativ external BB crap.

theblackmount
    Free Member

Yup 3 months – they are cack…

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Square taper is your answer. Ok, they are heavier but who cares when they last years and cost buttons.

Hope on HT II are reliable and you can actually choose from more than 2 modern cranks 🙂

walleater

I’ve snapped an XT square taper BB axle in half.

Rockhopper
    Free Member

Got square taper on both my bikes, the one on the M4 hardtail must be coming up to six or seven years old.

mokl
    Free Member

My Superstar one lasted 2 or three rides before it developed play and grittiness.

gonetothehills
    Free Member

Yup – a Superstar HT2 bottom bracket lasted one and a half rides for me. It was ok though – it was all my own fault. I’d not read the instructions that aren’t included with the BB. I’ve only ever fitted, oh, maybe 30 bottom brackets in my life and chose this one to screw it all up. 🙄 The Hope one I replaced it with is still going strong several years later and yes – if you’re using GXP cranks, the adaptor works a treat.

tenfoot

Just replaced the UN52 square taper on my 12 year old Scott.

My Zesty now needs it’s third pressfit BB in 18 months.

andrewh
    Free Member

25hrs for a titanium Truvative ISIS one. Fell out with CRC over the warranty claim and have never bought from the since, discovered Wiggle and they are excellent.
    my big bike is 14yrs old and on it’s second square taper. Square in the TT bike too, 4rs old and a 12 year old Dura Ace octolink in the road bike, both fine still, also a couple of 2yr old Chris Bling HT11 ones in the other bikes

br
    Free Member

Jesus, these pressfit BB’s are gash aren’t they?

Are we forgetting RaceFace’s HT2 – or is that now classed as last century?

Tom-B
    Free Member

My BB92 in my giant felt rough after 12 miles.

mudmonster
    Free Member

Yup – a Superstar HT2 bottom bracket lasted one and a half rides for me. It was ok though – it was all my own fault. I’d not read the instructions that aren’t included with the BB. I’ve only ever fitted, oh, maybe 30 bottom brackets in my life and chose this one to screw it all up. The Hope one I replaced it with is still going strong several years later and yes – if you’re using GXP cranks, the adaptor works a treat.

Same here, bought a ceramic one a few years ago, there was play in it straight away. Wrote to superstar and they said it was my fault. Use hope now, no problems. Gone back to square taper on one bike.

Skyliner
    Free Member

A friend has asked me to recommend him a replacement for his gxp chainset, he is lured by the price and the ano-blue of the superstar ones. He cant afford to change all to sq taper or ht2, any recommendations??

chiefgrooveguru

My GXP BB lasted hardly any time at all. I replaced it with the Hope BB with the GXP adapter and its now in its third year on my sole MTB that gets ridden twice a week in all weathers and used to be used for my daily commute as well.

gonetothehills
    Free Member

Skyliner – it’ll be the ultimate definition of “buy cheap, buy twice seventeen times” if he does. Hope are worth every penny.

blastit
    Free Member

Just be careful as the new hope press fit does not fit the Ali Giant Anthem. The stepped BB shell is too narrow for hope to fit on the non-drive side. The non-drive cup is slightly bigger due to the inter locking tube, so too big fit inside the stepped down bit of the BB shell.
    The cup is 38mm where it needs to go inside the step down bit.
    Drive side is 32mm so no problem that side.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Anyone have a bottom bracket die quicker than this?’ is closed to new replies.