Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Anyone 'hand strip' their terrier?
  • loddrik
    Free Member

I know quite a few have Borders on here. Plan to be getting a Welsh or Lakeland in the next 8 weeks, both of which also require hand stripping.

Do you out yourself? If so how often and how easy is it. Or do you pay someone to do it and if so how much does it cost? Or do you just wade in with clippers?

tinybits
    Free Member

I’ve got an Irish terrier. Tried stripping, by hand and with a stripping comb but to be honest it still gets out of control. 3x a year I have her done properly, costs £50

bruneep

I trained for it back in 1963

But I just get someone else to do

Drac

Border here, I strip him myself a bit at a time. He has sensitive skin so he gets annoyed then nips. For his underneath I clip him as it causes him less distress.

surfer
    Free Member

I have a lakeland. I have her clipped (she is 11 now) Stripping is too uncomfortable for her.

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

I have a Fell Terrier (a Lakeland variety) , and find a good comb with a fine comb, forward and back, a couple of times a week does the trick. He loves it, especially in the summer when his coat gets full of seeds.
    Don’t clip ’em whatever you do. It looks orrible.

surfer
    Free Member

Don’t clip ’em whatever you do. It looks orrible.

I dont think so but it is probably not STW de rigour! Stripping can be painful and serves no purpose. You may choose to ignore your dogs discomfort to tally enagage with the whole terrier ownership thing but in reality the vast majority of terriers are pets, why put them trough the pain of this other than to satisfy you.

tonyg2003

We clip ours in the summer. Stripping looks better (no doubt) but the current BT hates it so clipping it is. As long as it’s not the shaggy hairpile look I’m not bothered. Our other terrier the Patter(devil)dale is much easier to look after at least as far as coats go!

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

You may choose to ignore your dogs discomfort to tally enagage with the whole terrier ownership thing but in reality the vast majority of terriers are pets, why put them trough the pain of this other than to satisfy you.

There’s no pain involved with a regular comb.
    I still have my fingers as proof.

DaveRambo

We have a Border and strip him ourselves- mainly my daughter.
    Take it a bit at a time and while he’s not the biggest fan of it in certain areas, is generally fine and is much happier for it in this sort of weather.
    It tends to take us about 4 days in total – 2x30mins each day when he’s relaxed.

It doesn’t hurt when they are ready to be stripped.

surfer
    Free Member

There’s no pain involved with a regular comb.

We are not talking about combing we are talking about “stripping”

JohnClimber
    Free Member

Border Terrier here.
    Doesn’t need much striping so I do it myself.
    But don’t believe what you read.
    Border Terriers leave their hair all over your house, made sure you have wooden floors or a really good vacuum.
    They are more than worth this little bit of hassle as they are one he’ll of a great dog.
    Boys may fight (little man syndrome) girls don’t normally so I’ve found

voodoo_chile

Sounds like slot of hard work on top of training a new dog , get a short-haired breed …these little terrier breeds don’t stop

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

We are not talking about combing we are talking about “stripping”

I was talking about regular combing as an alternative to stripping, yet you seemed to be accusing me of being cruel so as to gain the whole “terrier experience”.

sbob
    Free Member

WTF are you all talking about?
    Are you talking about pulling out an animal’s hair?
    WTF is wrong with you?

Futureboy77

Yup, Cairn Terrier here. I hand strip myself.
    It’s easy enough. I give him a good comb and then just strip the longest of the hairs out. I probably spend about 30 mins/1 hour a week doing it to keep his coat “rolled”. He actually enjoys it and sits quite the thing on the table.

WTF are you all talking about?
    Are you talking about pulling out an animal’s hair?
    WTF is wrong with you?

Pulling dead hair isn’t painful for the dog and promotes a healthy coat and skin.

FuzzyWuzzy

I must confess I had to google wth dog stripping was (and I took a chance googling that term whilst at work…). Mind you it’s this randomness that keep me reading STW forums.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

As above, very relieved that it doesn’t mean the same as stripping salmon

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Anyone 'hand strip' their terrier?’ is closed to new replies.