Viewing 6 posts - 41 through 46 (of 46 total)
  • Anyone had the NHS drop a bollock with their treatment?
  • TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Project – its not very comparable.

Strangely that is what the research suggests that peoplke who are on the wrong end of accidents want an explanation and an apology. Our current system means they don't get that as its an admission of liability.

"No fault" mishap investigation is a useful way of doing things. You get much better disclosure of what has happened so it is easier to find ways of preventing future accidents, the victim gets their explanation and apology quickly. compensation can still be given and incompetent staff sacked – but most of these are as I said a series of mistakes that lead to the mistake that afects someone.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

40 post glitch

GrahamS

Strange if its a builder who makes a mistake theyre called a cowboy,and usually an apology is not enough for the customer

if you want a doctor that has never, ever made a mistake then you won't find one outside of TV dramas I'm afraid.
    They are only human.

It's better to accept that mistakes will happen and to put in required checks etc to try to catch them before they impact patients. I think TJ is right that this is better achieved by open investigation of the mistake, rather than defensively pretending it didn't happen to avoid being sued.

mafiafish
    Free Member

When my dad had his liver chopped out for cancer treatment(the person to have most liver removed and still survive ever!) there was a nice big surgical tube left in there for a while. He just thought if someone's saved your life it's not very nice to sue them for something you'd never noticed.

chakaping
    Free Member

Never did sue the NHS though. Guess I am too middle class.

In my experience (covering medical mishaps for the press) it was always the middle class patients who made the biggest fuss.

Did you not think that in your case the nurse concerned might be a danger to others? And perhaps that's why you were given the notes by a concerned colleague?

Hope the leg improves anyway mate.

BermBandit
    Free Member

I'm with TJ on this one. A great deal of what is left afterward is simply "why?" and how can I make my loss less pointless? So a thorough investigation is obviously important, and an open aspect to it so that there is no feeling of cover up would go a long way to dealing with those issues.

Further to that, a great deal of the problems with the NHS relate to a) the fact that to bring it about in the first place Doctors/Consultants were given a disproportionately large say in how it is run, (the logic for my statement being on a similar basis that just because someone is a good player for example, it does not follow that they will make a good manager in footballing terms). b) The NHS is used as a political football.

Ultimately, its a lot like gritting the roads. Want more grit? Pay more tax!

Personally, having had more of my fair share of the NHS in recent years, I have only ever come across one individual whose competence would worry me. Every other time I have been more than impressed with the committment and application of everyone I've ever had dealings with. The failings all seem to me to emanate from the management structure, and it is importnat to note that is NOT aimed at hospital administrators in any way at all.

Viewing 6 posts - 41 through 46 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘Anyone had the NHS drop a bollock with their treatment?’ is closed to new replies.