Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • anyone had metal fillings remooved and replaced with the white ones?
  • nonk
    Free Member

being advised to do this to help with some health problems.
    what do you think? 😕

Cougar

Yep, last week.

I was advised by the dentist that they don’t last as long as regular amalgam, which is why they don’t do it as a matter of course. Mine was sorta front-facing though, which means they’ll do it on the NHS.

I’m utterly perplexed as to why you’d need it doing for health reasons though. Fas as I was aware it’s wholly cosmetic to stop you looking like Jaws from the Jimmy Bond movies.

nonk
    Free Member

it would seem that all manner of things can clear up when you have them changed.
    not sure though, how many gobs must have them fitted? most people seem ok.

lobby_dosser
    Free Member

I got a few of mine done in Poland a few years ago. 2 have broken since.

djglover
    Free Member

They don’t last long at all

nonk
    Free Member

what the new stuff then? plastic?

Markie
    Free Member

new stuff will be porcelain (ceramic) or resin. who advised you – a bit on why amalgam might be no good here.

We have one friend who had all theirs replaced – I had assumed for cosmetic reasons, and another healthy living friend who had all her amalgam fillings replaced with gold!

nonk
    Free Member

brother in law.
    who is a doc (not mine however)

GrahamS

Dentist in New Zealand a few years ago was horrified that I had metal fillings (I have four) – he reckoned they had been banned there years ago. 😯

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

What was the advice for? What health problems would it clear?

antigee

i had old metal one replaced with white gunk because the tooth was cracked and the dentist said the white stuff had better grip and would hold the tooth together – maybe not forever but possibly better than going to crown

and yes the tooth feels happy – if not sure maybe ring dentist and ask if can give call back to explain – think it all just flies past sometimes and dentists seem to assume that you understand all the terms and logic

crewlie

Read this:
    http://www.quackwatch.com/01QuackeryRelatedTopics/mercury.html
    It’s now a few years old but I’m not aware of any more real scientific proof to have appeared since then.
    I will replace amalgam fillings for patients but only when they fail naturally or for aesthetic reasons.
    And there is some doubt about the longevity of white fillings although ceramics should be OK.
    I’m not aware of NZ banning amalgam. It has happened in some Scandanavian countries, but that is for environmental reasons. (crematoriums)

nonk
    Free Member

well i have a mild right side parethesia it seem that heavy metal can contribute to this.
    i have had as many invetigations as you can think of but nowt.
    he reckons enough people respond to it so i should consider it.
    a quick poke about on the net brings up abit of stuff about it but i suppose you could find a bit of stuff about anything at all.
    it will cost shed loads. :?(eight of the buggers)

coffeeking
    Free Member

I had white ones after being told by a dental prof that they were far better at holding the tooth together and the black ones have completely different thermal expansion coefficients, this cracking teeth further. But it seems my white ones have lasted <4 years and then need >£400 investment for the next 4 years. Ug.

nonk
    Free Member

cheers crewlie.
    coffeeking 😯 fek.

Cougar

1) ‘heavy metals’ can contribute to parethesia, as can many, many other things. There’s about three dozen causes listed on Wikipedia.

2) health issues related to amalgam are created by people with either a loose grip on physics / chemistry, or something to sell. It’s nonsense.

Having your fillings replaced to reduce parethesia would be about as effective as listening to less Iron Maiden.

nonk
    Free Member

or something to sell

this is what bothers me. ta for the imput.

Cougar

No worries.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘anyone had metal fillings remooved and replaced with the white ones?’ is closed to new replies.