Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Anyone had a successful Shimano hollowtech BB warranty claim?
  • Lofty
    Free Member

Has anyone had a successful Shimano hollowtech BB warranty claim? my SLX BB is totally knackered after 5 months use and i plan make a claim under warranty. Has anyone tried anything similar for a shimano hollowtech and what was the outcome?

I though it best to check before i poetntialy throw good money after bad posting the knackered BB off!

jam-bo

you’ve got no chance.

bammy
    Free Member

Mate, I have never had a successful warranty claim on anything off any of my bikes!

steveh

What jam bo said.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

It’s not faulty is it? You’ve just worn it out – it is a poor design though – even Superstar are better. But that isn’t a warranty issue.

Buy Hope

bent_udder
    Free Member

Wear and tear. Check in with Trading Standards to understand your rights before you waste lots of time…

Lofty
    Free Member

thanks for the advice, whilst it is good advice it only spurs me on further. Ive got a long history of suprious warranty claims and i’ve never been unsuccessful yet.

I dont quite know why i asked the question.

Bazz

I can’t see you having a snowballs chance in hell, it’d be like trying to get the windscreen wipers warrantied on your car, they might be rubbish but they are a perishable item, and in 5 months you could have done lejog 5 times for all they know.

Mister-P
    Free Member

Do you mean “spurious”? As in false or fake?

TuckerUK
    Free Member

Well, if you compare to a similar item, say my oldest XT square taper on its third bike and over 10 years old, you could go with ‘unfit for purpose’.

Lofty
    Free Member

I’ve had a new chain under warranty before now. With this in mind, surely they can be culpable for a defective BB?

anc
    Free Member

Its a £15 part its not worth your time and effort. Hope you faced your BB shell, before installing it… without that you haven’t got a chance.

traildog
    Free Member

You’ve had 5 months of use out of it, so what’s the problem? It’s an item that wears out. Do you claim when your tyres are worn as well?
    I used to get a year at most out of XT square taper bottom brackets. I never understand why people always talk about how great they were.

bigyinn
    Free Member

buzz-lightyear – Member
    Superstar are better.

akira

Have you jetwashed it and be honest, I remember a guy complaining about a bb and after repeatededly claiming he had never used a jetwash on his bike admitted to frequently jetwashing it when we found the bb to be full of water and totally banjaxed.

convert

Its a £15 part

– I thought it was more a £37 rrp.

Can see both sides. It is a consumable part but not (imo) in the same regard as a set of pads or a tyre. A part that needs reasonable levels of stripping down to replace and comes with a year’s warranty. I would think that it should be reasonable to expect a little more but we seem to accept this level of engineering.

On the other side as said above, this is a component that can be expected to be renewed after a certain number of miles and this can be significantly shortened depending on the conditions you ride in and potential misuse (use of a jet wash pointed directly at the seals or installed in an unfaced frame). How does a consumer prove this?

TheGingerOne

I must be very lucky as my hollowtech BB is in its second bike, is about 4 years old and still absolutely fine. Must have done a good few thousand miles on it by now.

Lofty
    Free Member

What’s this “jetwash” you mention?

Apart from the ocassional gentle ride all ive done for the last 5 months is follow the correct maintenance regime as recommended by the manufacturer.

5 months isn’t a reasonable life span for a non-perishable component designed for the purpose for which it has been used.

In terms of forseeability its too remote a loss for me to have anticipated.

Expect to see a new SLX BB in the for sale forum shortly.

anc
    Free Member

– I thought it was more a £37 rrp.

£12.90 at rosebikes no one pays rrp :mrgreen:

xiphon
    Free Member

Depends on how often you ride your bikes, and in what condition.

My shimano BB has lasted 2yrs so far, and it’s still smooth.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I would have thought you will have to show that the 5 months is an unreasonably short life and that it is a design fault. IMO both are true but showing this is difficult and also that you have had a some use of the part so only a partial refund needed under SOGA

Worth a try if you like a fight. Me I have better things to do with my time

bigdugsbaws
    Free Member

Its a £15 part its not worth your time and effort.

+1 – Its a consumable.

And if you shop in Germany, you can get HT2 BBs for less than a tenner

bigyinn
    Free Member

TandemJeremy – Member
    Worth a try if you like a fight. Me I have better things to do with my time

Like?

Mister-P
    Free Member

“Apart from the ocassional gentle ride all ive done for the last 5 months is follow the correct maintenance regime as recommended by the manufacturer”

Which is?

legend
    Free Member

Was your BB shell faced before you installed it?

Scamper
    Free Member

About a year from my experience for the XT/SLX, but that was with some serious jet washing which i’ve now stopped 😳

Still, at approx £12 form Rose, i’d rather pay that, than a larger whack up front for a Hope BB.

Rorschach
    Free Member

Get your tyres and brake pads done at the same time 😐

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Anyone had a successful Shimano hollowtech BB warranty claim?’ is closed to new replies.