Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Anyone had a Santa Cruz powdercoated?
  • Tracey

Had 2 Giants and 1 Specialized powdercoated with no problems, thinking of getting Abigales Chameleon powdercoated, any one had any problems with having one done

Tracey

cynic-al
    Free Member

Yes and no problems, what were you thinking of?

Apparently the heat involved can weaken certain alloys (thanks toys19 – I have a case involving an aircraft hangar fire which confirms this!), but I’m not aware of a pile of frames that broke shortly after powdercoating…

Zedsdead
    Free Member

You’ve done 2 before – why would you have problems now?

goog
    Free Member

I had my Cheryl done 4 years ago and shes not broke yet …

richmtb

slight thread highjack…

Can ano frames be powdercoated, my black ano blur is starting to loook a bit tatty

toys19
    Free Member

If its done very carefully and in a tightly controlled temp regime then there should not be any problems. The issue is that for heat treatment of some Al alloys a very careful heating and cooling regime in the order of 180-250 celcius has been carried out, this is tightly controlled and certificated. With powder coating temps vary between 120 -200, it is often not tightly controlled and certificated, some grunts on a line think higher temps for longer is better, and so you can see there can be some crossover between the careful accurate heat treatment and the less careful not so accurate powder coating and there is the potential for f*ck ups. It’s worth knowing the risk, I do not like the idea of handing my frame to a person who may be ignorant of the effects of heat on my baby and has his hand on the lever whilst he is readint eh sun/sleeping/w*nking.

Personally I go for painting, there is an excellent aircraft sprayers near me in devon I can put you in touch with, did a great job on my bullit and spare rear triangle for 60 quid.

Tracey

Will be going up on Thursday for Abigale to pick a colour, she has grown so fast in the last 6 months that she has out grown both here frames, so we have bought the next size frames and will be moving the rest of the stuff across to them

This has just been done and will be built up in mid October

I have read somewhere that Santa Cruz dont recomend it

We have had 2 ano frames done

nickc

Tracey, mine needs doing too, so could you keep us updated?

mjb

I have read somewhere that Santa Cruz dont recomend it

I heard that as well so i emailed Santa Cruz and they said that it’s fine as it’s not a high heat procedure and it’s what they use. They did recommend that the frame is chemically dipped rather than sand blasted though.

xc-steve
    Free Member

Had mine done a while back still in once piece makes you ride better too* make sure you get the threads covered etc and you’ll be fine!

*results may vary

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

what mjb said, SC powdercoat their own frames anyway.

Zedsdead
    Free Member

Nice colour.

Powder coating is ace – I did my daughters race bike in her requested ‘sparkly pink’

Tracey

The guy we use strips the frame and masks every thing out

dickie
    Free Member

I once got an old marin frame done at Thorpe Arch near Wetherby & the rear triangle was slightly distorted but Ok, just the V-brakes were at a funny angle, & had to do lots of filing to shift excess coating.

Had lots of motorbike bits done at Castleford powder coatings & they all came back perfect.

Also had frames painted at Bob Jackson in Leeds & by Argos RC, with excellent results.

Tracey

Ours have been done in Castleford, we use LSN Coatings.

Tracey

Dropped the frame off tonight, Abigale has picked fluorescent kermit green. £40 to strip the frame and powdercoat it. Will post pics when its done

anotherstan
    Free Member

i’ve used lsn coatings in cas before. good results and amazingly cheap.
    also used bob jackson (twice) good finish, but a bit pricey 😕

Tracey

Picked it up from the powder coaters tonight, it glows in the dark.

As good a finish as the rest that he has done

Tracey

takisawa2

Now that looks nice.
    Planning on stripping my Ventana once the weather gets really crappy.
    And I’m thinking green.

Tracey

Looks a lot better than the photos show, Abigale is thinking white or silver decals

Tracey

Now built up just waiting for decals

May need to change pedals and grips

Tracey

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Anyone had a Santa Cruz powdercoated?’ is closed to new replies.