Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Anyone had a knee reconstruction and ride hard again with no probs?
  • zaskar
    Free Member

I'm having my AC ligament redone with my hamstring tendon, meniscus removed and cartilage repaired.

I was just wondering how many have returned to riding with no quibbles or am I setting myself for granny ring riding once physio is done?

Thanks for any advice (can't wait to ride again) 😀

Frizzer
    Free Member

I had the same done in October 2008.
    I've only just been fully signed back as fit after doing all the physio and exercises that were recommended to me. I was told not to ride off road until final sign off. That was mainly due to the risk of sliding off, putting my leg out to catch myself and damaging the graft.
    So, I bought a turbo trainer early part of this year and did some gentle spinning in the garage to get movement back in. I then progressed to riding on the road and then eventually completed a 100 mile ride in September.
    My knee is now back to full strength and I've been told to treat it as though it was never injured. I've been out on my SS round the Surrey Hills and it's given me no grief at all.

Dales_rider
    Free Member

Yes, hamstring repair of medial, AC re attached to top of Tibia, cartilage trimmed. 24 years ago.

zaskar
    Free Member

Thanks for the info (bit scared of not riding hard again)

(Thanks for the inspiration Frizzer)

ams09121974
    Free Member

yep, back in 2007, got back on exercise bikes in gym after 4 weeks or so, slowly built up Range of movement and was told to keep hamstrings, quads and calfs strong to compensate for lack of meniscus. Back playing football within four months of op, unfortunately, had to wait around 7 months for op! God bless NHS. Had no worries since. Other knee could do with a clean up though!

bowglie

I had very similar recon work done about 2 years ago and am now back riding regularly with only the occasional twinge. My surgery was complicated by a dislocated kneecap, which is the main cause of the twinges – oh er, also coincides with when I stop doing my knee/hamstring stretches 😕

Everyone's different of course, but if your surgery goes OK and you get a good physio (and follow the exercises/stretches they give you…..ahem cough), there's no reason why you shouldn't get back to 'proper' mtn bike riding.

I did the same as Frizzer and got a turbo trainer, then just built things up very gently, with guidance from the physio and surgeon. About 12 weeks after the surgery, the surgeon also got me jogging to break down/prevent scar tissue. I was apprehensive about this and it was a bit eye watering at first, but I was b****y amazed at how quickly my body repsonded and recovered (FWIW, at the time I was a fairly slobby 46 year old).

I guess it depends on your physiology etc. – but the only thing I've found is that I've had to keep doing some of the hamstring, quad and ITB stretches to keep everything in good order (but that may be my age!). Because of the risk of reinjury, I've also gone over to flat pedals & 5.10s now I'm riding 'silly stuff' again – now I've relearnt how to use the pedals, I wouldn't go back to clipless – I've had at least one good tumble where they've proved their worth.

Anyway, hope the surgery goes well and good luck for your recovery (if an old f**t like me can get back on his bike, anyone can 😉 )

Merlinman

I had an ACL reconstruction (patella graft) in late 2003 when I was 58 – after a year wearing a brace and pestering the surgeon to do the op!

His stance had been that this was a 'sporting injury' and there was a cut off age of 40 for the op.

Op was a great success – followed up by intensive physio (lucky that my guy was Notts Forest's physio in the Brian Clough days – gosh he worked us hard)

Five years on – no problems, knee as good as ever and still riding hard and regularly.

Go for it !

zaskar
    Free Member

Thanks guys and glad you all recovered well.

(I had to wait for the op as there were no physios spare till after xmas due to holidays and the Doctor wanted me to get into physical therapy straight after surgery non stop for 6 weeks)

Bit scared of operations but more scared of not riding again but the experiences of poster's above do help to get rid of that-thanks everyone! (trying not to go mad without riding and playing guitar lol).

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

I have two biking friends who have had knee surgery. Howard snapped his ACL while kite-jumping, Dave broke off cartilage while practising circus tumbling 🙄

Both their ops took about 9 months to fully recover from during which time they concentrated on plenty of physio, walking and road cycling. Now both mountain biking, snowboarding, judo etc without hindrance.

Shandy
    Free Member

I had mine done November 2008, hamstring repair to the ACL and a meniscus repair. Meniscus repair can complicate things, increase swelling, etc, but in my case.

1st Month – Limping around, lots of physio concentrating on range of movement, basic exercise that you should be continuing with once you start doing more. Pretty easy to pull a hammy at this stage, but that is just the graft site.

2-3 Months – Starting into very gentle cardio, continuing the basic exercises, introducing some very basic balance and strength work.

4-6 Months – Probably doing pretty intense cardio under controlled conditions by this stage, doing more intensive strength work and progressing balance stuff into agility, hopping, leaps, bounds, skipping, etc.

6 Months on – Starting to gradually work back up to your normal level.

The main things are being patient, doing the exercises and stretches and giving it proper RICE as often as possible. It can be a bit boring but try and take some encouragement from any improvements and after 2 months you can start to work out frustration on the exercise bike too.

I was back on tow paths after 3 months, trail centre after 4, riding the usual trails and taking it easy at 6. Did a trip to the Alps at 8 with no ill effects. The surgeon told me the graft basically gains 10% per month up to 9 months, so if you are careful at 9 months the graft is 90% as strong as a proper ACL. The limiting factor for me has been forcing myself to go and do rehab when I would rather be riding my bike. I am going to get back into a couple of 2 or 3 hour gym/agility sessions a week to try and get it 100%.

Frizzer
    Free Member

Buzzlightyear – Premier Member
    I have two biking friends who have had knee surgery. Howard snapped his ACL while kite-jumping, Dave broke off cartilage while practising circus tumbling

Kite-jumping (or at least trying to) was what did mine in. I timed it badly and ended up flying horizontally past some dog-walkers and then crashed in a heap. Apparently it looked mighty impressive! 🙂

bullheart
    Free Member

Had the same three years ago. No issues at all.

gazza100

Had the ACL reconstructed twice. First op was done about 15yrs ago using the a patella graft and wasnt a success. Second op was done about 9 yrs ago, using the hamstring and it took about a year to have the confidence to go off-road. I dont have any problems whilst biking but when I play 5 a side, my knee swells up afterwards (may have something to do with me being over 15.5st though).

Best advice I can give is to build your quads and hamstrings up prior to the op and do your exercises religously afterwards. This will make your rehab easier.

zaskar
    Free Member

6-9 Months? will have to be realistic to myself as I was hoping 3 months!

(Dam!)

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Anyone had a knee reconstruction and ride hard again with no probs?’ is closed to new replies.