Viewing 16 posts - 41 through 56 (of 56 total)
  • Anyone got/heard of Tilley hats?
  • Mof
    Free Member

I quite like that Tilley Hemp, and that guy in the photo wears it well…. not sure I would though. At age 51, I think the holiday baseball cap era is coming to an end, so I'm in sun hat limbo… but as a baldy-locks I need to cover my dome in the sun.

LabWormy

Soon to be 47 and I bought one last year.

When I moved to vari-focal glasses I found I could not read maps with my contact lenses, so had to stick to my glasses even in the great outdoors.

I bought the hat to keep the rain of my lenses. It does this very well.

When sunny it also seems to cut down glare, so I no longer need sun-glasses. Seems great at keeping the bonce cool.

Wish I'd bought one years ago.

psling
    Free Member

Seen at a recent MTB event. One is Tilley hat, the other isn't.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    BigDummy
    Free Member

I'm 31, I have a regular one and the winter version.

prettygreenparrot

those pith helmets look great!

mogrim

I've got one, given it by work (which is why it's got a relatively discrete IBM logo on the front), I've had it since 2000 and it's still the hat I always reach for.

Geronimo
    Free Member

Tilleys are good, but expensive.

Get a US army (or a good replica) Boonie in Ripstop and showerproof it(which will also sweatproof/Quick-dry it) with wash-in Nikwax.[/url]

It'll only cost about a tenner and they don't have to be in camo colours. Desert Camo is fairly discrete anyway though.

epicyclo

Tilley hats are sold in cold countries to people going to hot countries who are then dismayed on arrival to see that similar hats are available for peanuts and then they have to justify their Tilley hats by pointing out the superiority of the stitching or its green credentials or its hidden tin foil brainwave destruction protector membrane or such like 🙂

They're good hats, but way too expensive. Buy a hat when you get where you're going. The locals usually have a good idea of what works (or doesn't) for that area.

BigBikeBash
    Free Member

This is a very interesting thread and I think we have established that the hats are good but expensive.

Now could we focus on the actual question that was asked?

Are there other stuff any good or just equally overpriced?

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Are there other stuff any good

Yup, their storm lamps are also excellent………..once you've pumped up the pressure.

BigBikeBash
    Free Member

Cheers Ernie – good advice, just the wrong Tilley

Tracker1972
    Free Member

Round about 10 years and counting, survived all sorts of abuse (the red wine stain for instance only took a couple of years to bleach out) and still going strong, love it summer and winter.

TooTall
    Free Member

If you are balding and middle class enough, they are worth it. If you want a hat go to the market and buy one – if you want a Tilley Hat, buy one. I have enough hair not to.

uplink
    Free Member

If you want a hat go to the market and buy one

The trouble with the market is they never have any big enough

TooTall
    Free Member

Then you have a noggin of gigantic proportions and I suggest you purchase a parasol to protect your enormous scalp.

uplink
    Free Member

7 5/8" to be precise 🙂 – & you can never get hats to fit
    I think that's the OPs problem too

Viewing 16 posts - 41 through 56 (of 56 total)

The topic ‘Anyone got/heard of Tilley hats?’ is closed to new replies.