Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Anyone got YouView?
  • mdb
    Free Member

Thinking of ditching Virgin Media and getting YouView, probably via BT. Appreciate any feedback on your experience of YouView. Ta.

ThePinkster

Yep, I’ve got at YouView box. TBH I don’t use it for on demand stuff much as my broadband is pretty sh!te but it’s pretty good as a PVR, especially with the HD channels.

It’s also useful being able to use the Android app on phones/tablets so you can set up recordings away from home.

fanatic278
    Free Member

I’ve got one. It’s a good PVR but I very rarely use the YouView functionality. It just doesn’t occur to me to scroll back in time on the guide. The user interface is good – certainly better than my dad’s PVR which is also a Humax. I still miss my old Thomson PVR though.

GrahamS

Thinking about it, but I am put off by the lack of DLNA, wifi and the smaller 500GB capacity.

Currently I’m thinking the Humax HDR-2000T looks like a better bet: 1TB capacity option, wifi dongle and support for DLNA/home network. No fancy integrated YouView, but it has iPlayer app built-in.

http://www.humaxdirect.co.uk/product.asp?ProdRef=10116

mashiehood
    Free Member

Yes, had to for a year through bt. No major issues, the box and the guide can be annoyingly slow. I use youview a lot.

the-muffin-man

Got it with Talk Talk as I was due a broadband upgrade so I thought I may as well give it a try (as an alternative to Sky) – it works OK but the user interface is slow, clumsy and nowhere near as good as Sky’s.

The YouView box is now in my daughters bedroom and Sky is still in the living room.

wiggles
    Free Member

Hate some of the user interface and can be very slow at times.
    Such as pressing OK on a programme in the guide because you want to watch it… Then it asks you if you are sure?? I’m only changing the flipping channel!

Also tends to not record half the stuff I ask it to.

GrahamS

Yeah speed. Another reason I thought the 2000T looked better:

As for general performance, it changes channels very quickly indeed, avoiding the long pauses you get from some PVRs, while digital text and interactive services work smoothly. Menu browsing is a blissfully fast experience too.
    http://www.trustedreviews.com/humax-hdr-2000t_TV-recorder—set-top-box_review

No complaints about speed here either:
    http://www.avforums.com/review/humax-hdr-2000t-freeview-hd-pvr-review.9554

user comment:
    In my view the 2000T UI is lightening fast but I can’t compare to any other Humax devices except the HDR Foxsat and compare to that it’s like Usain Bolt running against a Tortoises with its back legs tied together.

😀

seadog101

My Dad has it and thinks its ace. Must be easy to use if he can manage it. He even connected it all up and set it up himself….:-D

Mugboo

Ours has stopped allowing us to set recordings unless they start in the next hour. BT chap has been today, says it needs replacing but Homeland 3 is on it so we’ll watch that first.
    Up till this I’ve been happy with it.

woody21
    Free Member

I’ve got it and we have had no problems with it

unovolo
    Free Member

Got it, like it. Not quite as intuitive as Sky but has abilities that Sky lacks for instance the other day I had 2 recordings on the go and was able to watch a 3rd channel.

Prompts you if the program you want to record is also available in HD(and want to record that instead).

Its definetly a bit slower overall than Sky and Demand 5 can be a bit flakey.
    One thing to bear in mind is the Talk talk and BT boxes are completely different (huawei and humax) although they should work the same the specs could be quite different internally.

woody21
    Free Member

I spoke too soon, I’ve lost all of my channels – not happy

ampthill

We have the Talk Talk one and I can’t really fault it

Not that different to our previous freeview + box

I wouldn’t describe it as slow. The user interfcae isn’t quite right in that some things need a couple of click. The EPG takes a moment to refresh

The sound seem good through our surround sound system

We do go back and watch on demand content. Although its always preferable to record it

final though series record is better than on previous boxes. It will cope with any length of gap between epidodes

mtbfix

Ours just forced me to do a basic reset whilst keeping all of the recordings, so I did. Lo and behold! All recordings lost forever. And it’s not possible to pull stuff you want to keep off the box. Up til then it was no more or less reliable than our old LG pvr but based on today’s experience I’d not recommend one.

jeffl

The idea is sound but the box itself from talk talk is so slow. Hopefully the humax one will be faster.

jfletch
    Free Member

One big issue with it compared to the Sky box is the lack of an RF out with pass through and support for magic eye control.

Means that you can only watch the programs recorded on the box on the TV with the box underneath. Might not be an issue for some but for me it means it’s proper shite.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Anyone got YouView?’ is closed to new replies.